Batter for spare key? Remove battery or put in aluminum foil?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 01:28 PM
2009TCH w/NAV bought 4/08
Default Batter for spare key? Remove battery or put in aluminum foil?

I got a spare (third) key fob with my new Prius. After owning a TCH for 4 years, I realized if I were out somewhere and she wasn't with me and I lost my key, I'd be up a creek. So I told the dealer I wouldn't buy it unless they threw a third key in at no extra cost. They did! (and I got a good price too)

In any case, my plan is to keep the third key buried in the car so all I need to do is have locksmith or mechanic get the door opened and I can retrieve the key. However, I have to do one of two things:
  1. Wrap key fob in aluminum foil to block signals
  2. Remove battery from fob and store it with fob
Both will prevent key from being detected until I unwrap aluminum or put battery back in. Anybody know which would be better? Does wrapping in foil run down the battery any faster than if it were sitting on my dresser w/o the foil? Any problem with leaving the battery out for 6-12 months? My plan would be to rotate fobs every 6 months to make sure the spare is fresh.

Old 08-18-2012, 04:22 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Batter for spare key? Remove battery or put in aluminum foil?

This sounds like a neat idea. Good job getting a third key thrown in, by the way! I wish I'd have done the same!

I would opt for removing the battery, but might also keep a spare battery in my wallet or purse because I'm not entirely sure what the heat or cold inside the vehicle would do to the battery you keep in there.

Another idea is this: remove the little steel key from that third fob and keep that in yr wallet as well. That way, if you ever need to gain access to the vehicle to use that spare key fob, you don't need to call a locksmith!

Old 08-18-2012, 07:52 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Take the battery out. H

Old 09-09-2012, 04:27 PM
2009TCH w/NAV bought 4/08

I ended up going for removing the key. The aluminum foil only worked when the key was buried in the trunk or double-wrapping it.

Having the extra key came in handy when I loaned the car to my brother for a trip and was able to give him a spare key for his adult daughter who was with him yet keep one at home just in case.

Old 10-22-2022, 10:11 AM
Enthusiast

I didn't remove the key i prefer doing a whole lock change, in that way i was able to get rid of the problem.