Battery electrical "smell" on hard acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 11:47 AM
Enthusiast
Default Battery electrical "smell" on hard acceleration

Has anyone noticed an "electrical" smell coming from the batteries of the Prius on hard acceleration. I recently had to "gun" it to get out of the way of traffic and I smelled a sort of burning electrical smell. Just to make sure that I wasn't smelling something funny, I waited for about 15 minutes and then intentionally "punched" it. Sure enough I smelled it again.

Anyone else have this experience? Is this a problem or is this normal?

Old 10-14-2005, 12:01 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Battery electrical "smell" on hard acceleration

You should probably get that checked out, there may be something wrong with the battery interconnection system, those symptoms occurred in 01-03 versions that didn't get the battery service done in time, however your problem may be unrelated to that.

I would get it checked, there shouldn't be any electrical smell from hard acceleration.

Old 10-14-2005, 12:15 PM
Engineering Professor
Default Re: Battery electrical "smell" on hard acceleration

If my 2004 had this system it would be at the dealer that day for a diagnostic. The only symptom I get on hard acceleration (or deceleration) is a whine in the AM radio.