Volt bc its range-extended
18.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Beyond Hybrid: Chevy Volt vs Nissan LEAF

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 05:02 AM
Enthusiast
Default Beyond Hybrid: Chevy Volt vs Nissan LEAF

So I must admit I'm a little new to the whole green car scene, but I now do a lot of driving for my job and was about to purchase a Prius to commute until I saw the following article. I don't think that there will be enough electrical recharge stations in Phoenix in the near future for me to buy a Nissan LEAF because I often am required to do more than the 100 mile range, but I think the Volt might be a good option.
I read the comparison about the Volt and Leaf here, which made me lean towards the Volt for practicality reasons:

http://www.acceltimes.com/news/8/fea...issan-leaf.php

Just wanted to know what everyone thought about the Volt, do you think I'll run into problems in the 110 degree heat running on batteries alone (will the charge really last 40 miles or is that just while its new, like my laptop )

Would love your input and advice.
Thanks!

Old 08-21-2009, 05:58 AM
Automania Enthusiast
Default Re: Beyond Hybrid: Chevy Volt vs Nissan LEAF

Until the technology and batteries are proven (real world figures and experiences), like the millions of miles logged by the Prius's, I would take a wait and see approach.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:34 AM
Enthusiast

What's wrong with Tesla as a choice?

Old 08-26-2009, 03:10 PM
Enthusiast

From an emissions point of view, it depends where you live. Midwest, the Prius is better (because electricity is so dirty there). Everywhere else, go with the Volt or Leaf.

Old 08-26-2009, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

The Volt is a really cool idea on paper. A Volt owner should pretty much be able to commute on electric and still have the petrol engine for backup and long trips. Great idea on paper.

The trouble with the Volt is that it is way too expensive to ever pay for itself in energy savings. The Insight, Civic and Base Prius can all be had for around $20k while the Volt is expected to run closer to $40k. Do the math, there is no way the Volt could ever save anywhere near $20k in gas.

The other problem with the Volt is that it is too much of a compromise (which I admit is most likely necessary until pure electric cars become accepted). The Volt must make room for batteries and motors (like an electric car), plus an engine and gas (like a regular gas powered car), plus a generator (instead of a conventional transmission). All this stuff will make the Volt relatively heavy and relatively expensive. Hopefully an all electric version that has larger batteries (for better range) and that lacks the engine, generator and gas tank (to save money and weight) will be made available someday.

Old 09-05-2009, 04:39 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by iafb83
So I must admit I'm a little new to the whole green car scene, but I now do a lot of driving for my job and was about to purchase a Prius to commute until I saw the following article. I don't think that there will be enough electrical recharge stations in Phoenix in the near future for me to buy a Nissan LEAF because I often am required to do more than the 100 mile range, but I think the Volt might be a good option.
I read the comparison about the Volt and Leaf here, which made me lean towards the Volt for practicality reasons:

http://www.acceltimes.com/news/8/fea...issan-leaf.php

Just wanted to know what everyone thought about the Volt, do you think I'll run into problems in the 110 degree heat running on batteries alone (will the charge really last 40 miles or is that just while its new, like my laptop )

Would love your input and advice.
Thanks!
Big gob-smack for a Volt is the $40K sticker. Even totally tarted out, a Prius is $32K. Cars are in different pricing worlds.

Old 09-06-2009, 12:02 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by robertg222
You mean beyond the 'you've gotta be kidding' price point, the cramped 'sports car' accommodations, and a general lack of practicality?

Tesla put together some interesting tech in a rich man's toy. Whether they ever go beyond that remains to be seen.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:34 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by robertg222
You know, I didn't include Tesla because the Roadster has a $100k price tag, but I just saw that Telsa is coming out with a sedan, the Model S. It'll be $50 grand, which is still high, but not extreme when you consider all you get compared to a $40k Volt. For $10 grand more you get a nice luxury vehicle that looks awesome, compared to the econobox Volt. Both still out of my price range, unfortunately.

Here's the Model S if you wanna check it out. http://acceltimes.com/news/8/tesla-r...ld-model-s.php

Old 12-19-2009, 07:00 AM
Enthusiast

The question is moot for us poor folks. Love the Volt, can't dream of the price. Prius III is overpriced, can't afford that either. Maybe in 2018 I'll be able to buy a 2010 Prius?

Old 12-22-2009, 01:22 PM
Enthusiast

In Europe we pay Eu 35,000.00 for the 2010 G3 Prius executive, that's expensive?

Quick Reply: Beyond Hybrid: Chevy Volt vs Nissan LEAF

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands