Bigger Rims Better MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 11:38 AM
BeechSportBill
Default Re: Bigger Rims Better MPG?

Hi all -

Last Fall, I bought 15" alloy wheels and great winter tires (TOYO Observe - as recommended on G-H) because I didn't want to disturb my 16" Touring wheels by changing tires back and forth. I could NOT measure any differences in handling, acceleration, or mileage! MAYBE a little better ride - even though I have the Touring H-D suspension.

Les Schwab was careful to get the right 'downsize' so my diameter wasn't affected, as far as I could tell. I almost left the Observes on, cuz I liked the shiny rims (the 16" are dark brown, kinda,) but I didn't buy Tire Pressure sensors for the Alloys. I DID have to use the Lug Nuts that came with the Alloys (and a very skinny socket tool!) and finally realized I needed to get a set of lug nuts out of the shed for the TEMP SPARE if I had a flat!

BTW, the Tire pressure sensor came on a few times with the winter tires due to no sensor, but I think parking close to the stored tires in the shed at the back of the carport reset the alarm??

Last edited by BeechSportBill; 06-09-2008 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Lug Nuts info added