Bluetooth Compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 08:18 AM
Enthusiast
Default Bluetooth Compatibility

I have a 2006 Toyota Prius and use a Sprint phone. I would like to upgrade my phone but the software onboard my Prius is outdated. Is there any way to upgrade the onboard software to accept newer phones?

Old 05-08-2011, 06:34 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Bluetooth Compatibility

I've been looking at the 2011 Prius III, which has Bluetooth capability. On the Toyota web site it lists only a few phones that are compatable with the Toyota systems. I have an iPhone from Verizon, and find it hard to believe that it won't work in the Prius. I hope that I'm wrong, but if anyone can provide info, I'd appreciate it.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:50 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Bluetooth Compatibility

I have a 2006 Prius which was compatible with my old HTC phone and my current HTC TouchPro2. I have spoken to the manager of my local dealership and also to the national sales department about this as I wanted to get a new phone. The problem is that the Bluetooth software in the Prius is located in (or near) the radio which is in an inaccessible place and so cannot be upgraded. I have suggested that this is a design flaw that needs to be addressed. Meanwhile, the list on the web site is woefully out of date and isn't updated. I have found compatibility with a new Android phone. Your best bet is to take your car to whatever store supplies your phone service and just try to synch the phone you want. If the Bluetooth in the phone is backward compatible it will work. This is a frustrating issue but, outside of this, I LOVE my Prius and will definitely get another one when the time comes. The many other wonderful features outweight this problem. Nonetheless, Toyota should definitely find a way to upgrade the Bluetooth software in newer models so when phone technology surpasses the age of your car you can get a new compatible phone more easily.
Janet