Buying a Prius in San Diego - any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 03:58 PM
Enthusiast
Default Buying a Prius in San Diego - any tips?

I am 95% positive I'm going to buy a Prius in the next few months.

I currently have a 2000 Camry, and don't really feel that the new Camry Hybrid is all that much better than the Prius. Plus, the increased tax credit for the Prius makes it a nice bonus too.

I've read in a few other posts that the Costco program has been able to get people good deals on their Prius, but I was wondering if anyone has experience in San Diego (or Southern California in general). I keep hearing that since demand is "so high" for the Prius, that many dealerships feel it's a take it or leave it situtation for buyers. Others have said that eBay is a pretty good option too. Any thoughts?

I used to drive 100 miles a day in my Camry at 24 MPG, but now, my commute to work is all of 3 miles (almost all on city roads). So I'm really looking forward to the new drive (hopefully almost all on electric) to work.

Old 02-21-2006, 07:11 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Buying a Prius in San Diego - any tips?

My fiancee and I bought both a Prius and a HiHy at the same time in August, up in Ventura. We were able to get $500 off sticker from each car. It was just before Katrina hit, and about a week before the HOV sticker approval happened.

There was one Prius on the lot at the time (the one we got), and two HiHys.

Last week we drove by the same dealership again just to check things out, and we saw 2 or 3 HiHys, but absolutely ZERO Priuses. One of the salesmen told us that their waiting list is now approx. 3 months long, yet they've always had a few HiHys on the lot.

The kicker: They were selling an '04 Prius, Salsa Red (not sure what package # though), with 47,000 miles on it, for $500 *less* than we got ours. WOW!

My suggestion: get on a list now so you can have it in a few months!

Rick

Old 02-22-2006, 02:04 AM
Engineering first
Thumbs up Re: Buying a Prius in San Diego - any tips?

Originally Posted by Bitter Bus

. . . Others have said that eBay is a pretty good option too. Any thoughts?

I used to drive 100 miles a day in my Camry at 24 MPG, but now, my commute to work is all of 3 miles (almost all on city roads). So I'm really looking forward to the new drive (hopefully almost all on electric) to work.
I used Ebay to buy an 03 Prius in Texas and was very satisfied. The larger the pool of sellers, the easier it is to get a good deal. One California poster recently bought his new Prius in Washington DC and flew out to pick it up. But the rule of thumb is:

Good, fast, cheap -- pick two of three

GOOD LUCK!

Bob Wilson

Old 02-23-2006, 07:54 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bitter Bus

I currently have a 2000 Camry, and don't really feel that the new Camry Hybrid is all that much better than the Prius. Plus, the increased tax credit for the Prius makes it a nice bonus too.

I've read in a few other posts that the Costco program has been able to get people good deals on their Prius, but I was wondering if anyone has experience in San Diego (or Southern California in general). I keep hearing that since demand is "so high" for the Prius, that many dealerships feel it's a take it or leave it situtation for buyers. Others have said that eBay is a pretty good option too. Any thoughts?

BB... don't get your heart set on an "all-electric" 3-mile drive, even if your commute is flat earth and lots of stoplights. but don't expect much less than 40 or 50 mpg, depending on how you drive the Prius, either!

even with an EV switch, the Prius isn't designed for electric-only. basically, it's a computer on wheels, and the job of the computer is just one: to operate the Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) at its most efficient operating point, under all driving conditions. (really!)

i love mine, and i hope you love yours. the handling is great, the acceleration is just fine, the capacity for people, luggage and cargo is wonderful, the techy stuff (if you get a high-end optioned model) is far out, and it can pull a trailer if you need to! see my site for info on that!

enjoy!

Old 02-23-2006, 10:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

That's true, +.

The last 3 miles of my commute home I can get 99% ev-only, but that's after spending 30+ miles on the freeway and the ICE is definitely sufficiently warmed up, and the batteries have a high charge. I use the EV switch and up goes the MPG. With a commute of 3 miles only, most, if not all of it, will be spent warming the engine up.

But like + said, I wouldn't expect much less than 40 to 50mpg anyway depending on your Speed Racer tendencies!

Rick

Old 02-27-2006, 11:19 AM
Enthusiast
Smile Re: Buying a Prius in San Diego - any tips?

Brandon,

If you are interested in purchasing a Prius at MSRP and want a quick delivery time call or email me. I will be happy to help you!