Cabin Heat on Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 06:02 AM
Enthusiast
Default Cabin Heat on Automatic

Hi All,
Question about using the automatic setting for heating the cabin. I like to keep the warm air pointed at my feet, if I have the car on Automatic and then press the button that will direct the air at my feet, it appears that the automatic feature is shut off. Is that correct? Or does it still try to maintain my set temperature?
Thanks,
Kim

Old 12-29-2006, 08:33 AM
My Wife's car but my toy!
Default Re: Cabin Heat on Automatic

I think it keeps the temp setting but does not adjust the fan speed or outlet setting.

Old 12-29-2006, 08:39 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Kim,

I was confused by that. I think "Automatic" refers to the air-conditioner. I noticed on my ride home from the dealer when I first picked up the car that I had the air-conditioner on by mistake, when I hit the "automatic" button.

Now I just set the desired temperature, and with cold outside temp's, make sure the green bars are off indicating air-conditioner use.

Harry

Old 12-30-2006, 07:51 AM
Automania Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Earthling
Kim,

I was confused by that. I think "Automatic" refers to the air-conditioner. I noticed on my ride home from the dealer when I first picked up the car that I had the air-conditioner on by mistake, when I hit the "automatic" button.

Now I just set the desired temperature, and with cold outside temp's, make sure the green bars are off indicating air-conditioner use.

Harry

Auto means 'AUTO TEMP' the car, through it's sensors determines what it needs to maintain the set temperture. If it's to wam, the Air Conditioning (A/C) comes on to cool it to the set temp, if it's under/cooler then the set temp it heats the air till the correct/desired temperature is reached.

Once the set temperature is reached it will then balance between hot and cold air (read that air condotioner on/off) to maintain the cabin at the desired set temperature. When you go to manual mode e.g. Auto lamp off, you would need to turn the air on or set it to a lower setting to cool the car

Old 01-02-2007, 11:44 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Earthling
Kim,

Harry
Sorry Harry, you are not quite correct on either point.

The AUTO A/C light on the dash indicates that the system is in full automatic mode. Meaning that the vehicle will take care of all aspects of the Automatic Climate system. The fan speed setting and the air output setting can be adjusted manually. As soon as you make a manual choice of fan speed or air output the AUTO A/C light goes out. That basically indicates that the system is no longer operating in a full automatic mode.

When you choose the air output, then the system will no longer adjust the air output on its own, however it will continue to adjust the fan speed automatically. If you choose a fan speed, then the system will not adjust the fan speed. The temp set point remains automatically controlled and maintained by the vehicle.

A word about the A/C button and the indicator light on it. The A/C button status light is not an operational indicator, but an indicator that indicates if the A/C compressor is available to the system for use. If the light is on it indicates that the A/C compressor is available for the system to use. If the light is off, it indicates that the compressor is not available for the system to use. It is best if you leave it on and let the A/C system take care of the heating and cooling of the cabin.