Can a sunroof be installed in the 2005 Prius?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 12:48 PM
Enthusiast
Default Can a sunroof be installed in the 2005 Prius?

I'm considering purchasing the 2005 Prius and I am wondering if it's possible to install a sunroof.

Can anybody tell me? Has anyone had one installed aftermarket?

Old 03-16-2005, 10:42 AM
Enthusiast

It's probably possible, but it's a very bad idea. You are going to take a significant hit in MPG because you are going to mess with the aerodynamics of the car. The installation itself will change the shape of the root of the car, but when you open the sunroof, your MPG will probably take an even bigger hit.

The car is amazing already... Buy one... just as it is!

Old 03-17-2005, 01:39 PM
Prius geek

I've a friend in LA, Calif. that recently called me to say he was riding in an '05 Prius with a friend, had a question for me. Anyways, it had a sunroof and leather right from the dealer. That means there is a company doing Prius sunroofs (sunrooves? no) in Los Angeles. And they are doing them before customers buy, so it appears as a package deal. I know this doesn't help with details of the where and how much, etc. but a sunroof is possible. Maybe do a PriusChat or Priusonline search for sunroof, I seem to recall seeing pics at one or the other site. Love my Prius!

Old 05-04-2005, 10:31 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Can a sunroof be installed in the 2005 Prius?

There was a discussion - complete with pictures - on PriusChat about sunrooves ;-). The roof had been flattened to accomodate it. Even with the changing of the roof aerodynamics, the Prius is still going to haul some major MPGs. I would guess that if you're going to go through all the trouble of getting the sunroof, you're probably not too terribly bothered by a slight drop in mileage.

Old 05-04-2005, 11:22 AM
Enthusiast

considering buying an 05 prius. hows everybody like them?

Old 05-05-2005, 08:01 AM
Prius geek

Absolutely, without a doubt, the best car out there, bar none. Besides that, I really, really like my Prius!

It's quick, roomy, comfortable, versatile with the hatchback/folddown rear AND front seats, affordable, and just plain fun to drive.

Plus there is just a zen about dring the Prius, knowing you're doing the environment (and your pocketbook) some good with the less consumption and the lower emissions.

Did I say it's so fun to drive? There are always people asking about my Prius, and the fact that there are all the online forums for us Prius geeks. Yeah, it's just plain nice to be in the Prius family.

Old 05-05-2005, 09:14 AM
Enthusiast

1. Sunroof: Looks nice (pics on Prius Chat) but I wonder if driving with it open will mess with MPG as well?

2. My Prius is the coolest car ever. Nothing makes me swell with pride more than having someone come up and say something like "Oh, I've heard of these, they look so neat! How do you like it?" or having someone puropsely match my speed to check out my car as I'm driving around town. It's a real blast. I hated driving until we bought it.

Old 05-05-2005, 09:29 AM
Enthusiast

A sunroof will mess with MPG, both open and closed. Just installing it will alter the shape of the car and increase drag (if you look at the roof it is specially designed and unique, a sunroof will change that) Open, you will have an even bigger penalty. But, you'll probably get better gas mileage than any other vehicle on the road with a sunroof.

Old 05-10-2005, 11:31 AM
Enthusiast

Yes, it is possible to install a sunroof in a Prius. My local guy, (Lynchburg, VA) not a Toyota dealer has installed a few of them.

Old 05-10-2005, 05:01 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Here is a crazy idea. have sunroof glass made that will replicate the roof shape in the location the sunroof is going to be placed. Since the sunroof will probably be a popup, slide up style, it seems possible that the strange shape of this glass wouldn't pose a mechanical issue because it isn't having to be stored between the roof and the headliner.

That way, when the sunroof is closed the shape of the roof is restored. I can see this as a legitmate port option or aftermarket item if placement of the sunroof is solidified and made somewhat standard.

Last edited by JeromeP; 05-11-2005 at 04:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Can a sunroof be installed in the 2005 Prius?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands