Carl H, How do you do it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 02:27 PM
Enthusiast
Default Carl H, How do you do it? (Get 71 mpg near Chicago)

Carl H.,

I don't think you actually read the forums because I have never seen you post. Your fuel economy is amazing! People may not realize it because you are not at the top of the chart, but no Prius driver in the US has consistently nailed great tanks like you have. I believe you live near Chicago so you get cold winter temps that for mere mortals would kill their fuel economy. Last winter you had only one tank under 60 mpg (I think it was maybe 55 mpg). I would love to hear what your commute is like, do you pulse and glide on your way to and from work? Any way keep up the great tanks! And when you post 2 or 3 tanks at once could you note when the tank was filled? Thanks. I calculated Carl's average mpg for the last year, 71 mpg over 13k miles impressive, especially because he didn't just put his car away for the winter, he drove in the cold and snow and still pulled out 71 mpg!

Dennis

Last edited by dcoyne78; 05-22-2007 at 02:47 PM. Reason: figured mpg avg for last year and added it
Old 05-23-2007, 07:56 AM
Engineering first
Cool Re: Carl H, How do you do it? (Get 71 mpg near Chicago)

Hi Dennis,

I tried to PM or e-mail you about this but noticed you have both PM and e-mail turned off:
Originally Posted by dcoyne78
. . .
Dennis
As a suggestion, you might enable PM and see if you can contact the other driver privately. Some folks will respond and some won't but it is a much better approach before making a "public posting" calling for their response. It gives the illusion of "calling someone out" even though I know your interest is strictly technical.

From time to time, I've stopped myself from posting in public something that was really directed at one individual. This has always turned out to be a superior approach and I would have done that in this case if "PM" had been an option.

Please see this as suggesting 'a better way.'

Bob Wilson

Old 05-23-2007, 01:26 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Carl H, How do you do it?

Hi Bob,

It is ok if my question isn't answered. In some sense I was just recognizing publicly the amazing driving that Carl does regularly and trying to highlight it so people can see what is possible. My guess is that Carl may not want to be bothered, but I will turn on my pm so he can do that if he chooses. Do you really think it is bad form to say, "Hey your amazing!" in a public forum? I don't know, if I was being negative in some way I would agree with you completely, but I generally think of this forum as a place to share knowledge with everyone and a pm or e-mail doesn't do that.

Dennis

Old 05-23-2007, 03:07 PM
Engineering first
Default Re: Carl H, How do you do it?

Hi Dennis,
. . .
It is ok if my question isn't answered. In some sense I was just recognizing publicly the amazing driving that Carl does regularly and trying to highlight it so people can see what is possible. My guess is that Carl may not want to be bothered, but I will turn on my pm so he can do that if he chooses.
I kinda figured that was the case but wasn't sure. Actually, I'm impressed with everyone who contributes to the database regardless of their ranking. In particular, think about those who for one reason or another are at the low-end of the scale. They in particular deserve our thanks for contributing the full picture of what is going on.

Curiously, I believe that working with the low-end drivers leads to better insights and possibly improvements for the whole. The high-end folks often have 'special cases' whereas the low-end folks are probably banging against some weak point that can and should be addressed.

. . .Do you really think it is bad form to say, "Hey your amazing!" in a public forum? I don't know, if I was being negative in some way I would agree with you completely, but I generally think of this forum as a place to share knowledge with everyone and a pm or e-mail doesn't do that. . . .
What I've found is a little PM chat gets folks 'in sync' so they aren't surprised. Often, asking if it is OK in a PM to reference some topic in a discussion, they'll be happy to agree and that pretty much puts everyone up on an even keel. It is the principle of 'no surprises.'

Bob Wilson