Disable Phone & Navigation Lock-Out?

Old 03-26-2006, 10:46 AM
Enthusiast
Default Disable Phone & Navigation Lock-Out?

Sorry if this is a FAQ, but I could not find any answers on this forum. So, I'll risk numerous lashings, and ask it (again?).

Regarding the 2006 Prius, is there a way to disable the lock-out on the telephone and navigation systems (similar to disarming the back-up alarm), so all phone and nav systems are usable and programable while the car is in motion? When driving on long trips, my passenger would like to fiddle-around with these functions (that's what a co-pilot is for).

I understand Toyota's liability reasons for not wanting a driver to be fine-tuning the nav system while cruising down the road at warp speeds. However, Toyota should allow the passenger to amuse him or herself

Old 03-28-2006, 04:50 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Disable Phone & Navigation Lock-Out?

There is not any way to do that via the touch screen or anything like that...at least not that has been discovered yet, for the '06. There's a series of soft-key pushes that disables the speed sensor for the NAV in the '04-'05, but it doesn't work on the '06.

If you're willing to do some mods there are 2 speed sensor wires just behind the vent cover to the right of the MFD that can be cut and switches installed that will allow you a mechanical option to override. There are side effects (the wheels don't turn and you lose the consumption bars when the BT phone speed sensor is cut, and the NAV speed sensor override is overridden itself after about 1 minute and you have to turn the switch off and then back on to resume programming).

But, the mod is technically quite easy. You'll have to put the switches somewhere accessible so you might end up cutting holes in the vent cover or something, but it's doable.

If you are seriously considering doing this I can provide the link at PriusChat with photos and such to guide you through the process.

Old 03-28-2006, 07:23 PM
Enthusiast

Hey Evan,

Thanks for the response! Please do provide that link to Prius Chat.
And, many thanks for your assistance!

John

Old 04-26-2006, 07:31 AM
Enthusiast

I've found that inputing telephone numbers on the touch screen and trying to dial out can be a major pain and sometimes takes too long. Instead I've just been dialing out on my cell phone. Eventhough I use my cell phone for the dialing, once connected the car, it will do the ringing and then I can just talk "into the air". This avoids the lock out as you don't have to use the touch screen at all.

Old 04-26-2006, 08:50 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks Mixbreed! I also dial that way to access my cell-phone's extensive phone-book. However, it's a pain ...

PriusChat lists a company which has "broken the code" (actually, it's a plug-in device) to open-up full nav & phone operations (to the passenger, of course!) while driving down the road, however, they are having difficulty with the 06 system. I expect success with the 06 in the coming months!

Stay tuned

Old 04-26-2006, 03:40 PM
Enthusiast

Does anyone have trouble connecting their cell phone to the car BT system? Sometimes mine just won't connect. Maybe it's because of other nearby cell phones?

Old 04-26-2006, 06:34 PM
Make a gas pump lonely!

The BT works OK in my Prius when using only one phone. When paired with more than one phone I find it does work as well. If I drive the car an connect phone A it works like a charm, however if my other half gets in the car with phone B, it seems the Prius keeps looking for Phone A and is unable to connect phone B. If you force the Prius search for BT devices, it then finds and pairs with phone B.

I doubt other phones nearby cause your connection problem. The BT on the Prius only has a 10m range (32 ft). The phones nearby would have to be in "find me" mode for the Prius to detect them when searching with BT devices, and would have to be paired with the Prius using your passcode (1111 by default, but changable).

Last edited by sipsgas; 04-26-2006 at 06:41 PM.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:39 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sipsgas
The BT works OK in my Prius when using only one phone. When paired with more than one phone I find it does work as well. If I drive the car an connect phone A it works like a charm, however if my other half gets in the car with phone B, it seems the Prius keeps looking for Phone A and is unable to connect phone B. If you force the Prius search for BT devices, it then finds and pairs with phone B.
Yea it was my wife's cell that was creating the trouble. Good advice sipsgas, I re-registered my phone by telling the car to look for it, then no problems...so far.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:20 PM
Enthusiast

Hey Evan,
I would be interested in the link to the nav lockout disabling steps. We had the nav lockout disabled about a year ago but did not do the phone settings. I would also like to enable the phone settings while driving. Thanks so much.
Joyce

Last edited by joytrink; 01-15-2008 at 01:21 PM. Reason: forgot name
Old 03-01-2008, 08:23 AM
Enthusiast

Hey John,
Did Evan send you the Prius Link yet for disabling the Nav and Phone lock out? I would greatly appreciate if you could send me that link as well. Thanks so much. Send link to Joytrink2@yahoo.com

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Disable Phone & Navigation Lock-Out?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands