Don't buy Prius GPS

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 02:10 PM
Pragmatist
Default Re: Don't buy Prius GPS

I assume that the GPS software and map data in the Camry Hybrid is very similar to that in the Prius. The navigator in my TCH exhibits the same difficulties as have been described above. It often picks stupidly bad routes, apparently because it does not know the speed limits of the roads that are on the map.

There is a detail that I find particularly amusing, even though it presents no difficulty: My car thinks my own house number does not exist. When it is sitting in my driveway, it says it is at a different house number, which in fact does not exist. So, this car literally cannot find its way to its own home.

Old 01-11-2009, 02:26 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SteveHansen
I assume that the GPS software and map data in the Camry Hybrid is very similar to that in the Prius. The navigator in my TCH exhibits the same difficulties as have been described above. It often picks stupidly bad routes, apparently because it does not know the speed limits of the roads that are on the map.

There is a detail that I find particularly amusing, even though it presents no difficulty: My car thinks my own house number does not exist. When it is sitting in my driveway, it says it is at a different house number, which in fact does not exist. So, this car literally cannot find its way to its own home.
Upon reflection (after owning my Prius since '06, that fact is not such a bad idea. Someone pointed out that you know where you live, but if your car was stolen the directions back to your house wouldn't be such a good idea. So I'd punch in a shopping center or some POI close by.

Yep problems with GPS. On at least 4 occasions mine would have sent me off in the wrong direction on another route, so it pays to have a good idea of where you're going.

It also helps to have someone really technologically savy in the car with you. For example, while we couldn't get exact directions to a particular address, we were able to get in the neighborhood and then by moving the arrow on the screen to the street we wanted, we got to where we wanted to be.

if I were to direct my Garmin 705 to take me back to the start of my ride it would try to route me back to my outbound route instead of routing from where I am back by the most direct route.

Yep. Like some animals: Great to have around, but not too smart.

Yep. Too much money.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:49 PM
Enthusiast

I wasn't too enjoying my friend's factory gps on his 08 camry hybrid. Easy decision for me to pass.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:33 AM
Enthusiast

I have a 2010 Prius with an OEM GPS unit. If I had it to do over I would not buy this option and purchase a portable unit. The guidance feature is so bad that it is usually unusable. I have tested it on routes that I travel frequently and it tries to send me over weird routes. Last weekend I was within a 1/2 mile of my destination when I entered the address and it tried to send me a couple of miles in the wrong direction. I had a 2008 Prius with the GPS and never experienced these problems