Edmunds: Fuel Sipper Smackdown 2 (Prius vs. Insight vs. Jetta TDI vs. Mini Cooper)

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 01:29 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Post Edmunds: Fuel Sipper Smackdown 2 (Prius vs. Insight vs. Jetta TDI vs. Mini Cooper)

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/fuelec...6/article.html

I can't post in the Hybrid & Related News or the over-arching Hybrid Cars section, about all I can do is post in one of these areas.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:11 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Edmunds: Fuel Sipper Smackdown 2 (Prius vs. Insight vs. Jetta TDI vs. Mini Cooper

With more to come..., SOON.

DFI, Direct Fuel Injection, will allow the Prius' ICE (and others) static compression ratio to be raised to 15-16:1. Why it wasn't included in the 2010 upgrade is a bit of a puzzle for me.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:41 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Edmunds: Fuel Sipper Smackdown 2 (Prius vs. Insight vs. Jetta TDI vs. Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by wwest
With more to come..., SOON.

DFI, Direct Fuel Injection, will allow the Prius' ICE (and others) static compression ratio to be raised to 15-16:1. Why it wasn't included in the 2010 upgrade is a bit of a puzzle for me.
One word answer: cost. DI costs more than EFI, and has worse long-term injector reliability (as well as the high-pressure pump). Also, the high compression ratio, even with Atkinson cycle is likely to require upgrades in materials in the head and head gasket, and possibly the block, which cost more money.