Engine Shutoff Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 08:50 AM
Enthusiast

Hello there.

I've been over at the Yahoo group but that its a mad house over there. This site is considerably better. Kudos to the designer(s).

I have a Prius II with around 7500 miles on it. When the engine shuts off the car quakes considerably. When I first got it I didn't notice this. My parents have a Prius I and I've driven that and it is smooth as silk - it's hard to tell when the IC engine is on or off. Not so with mine. Sometimes it's so bad a person in the passenger seat can feel it. Somtimes there is almost an afterrun as the engine shuts off and sort of coughs a few times. At least once when I was backing up, the car actaully accelerated very slightly because of the engine switching state. When the car is in park the car still shakes. This doesn't happen every time the engine changes state but several times every day.

I took it into the dealer twice. Both times I was told this was normal and that Toyota had increased the tension of the connections in the mechanical transfer system. I bought it for a while but the problem seems to be getting worse and I'm having a harder time believing this is normal.

So here are my quesitons: Does anyone else have a similar probem with their car and/or should this really be normal?

Thanks
Christian

Old 04-08-2004, 10:13 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

sounds like a problem w/ the MG1 or the computer running it.

Old 04-08-2004, 11:46 AM
Site Founder

First off, thanks for the compliments. I've worked hard on this site.

It's hard to tell whether or not you have a problem because we can't drive in your car. One would have to compare it to another Prius. I can often feel the engine come on, but it's a very light vibration that is no worse than a car shifting gears -- probably even less so. When in reverse, it sounds as if the engine may still be on, but it never provides thrust. If things are actually as bad as you make them out to be, I'd assume there's a problem.

Old 04-11-2004, 10:25 PM
Enthusiast

Thank you for the replies.

Jason, when your engine shifts state is there a variation in the roughness (i.e. sometimes it is rough sometimes not)? And if so does the engine load determine roughness (primarily climate control on/off)? Have you every had the engine cycle on and off several times in quick succession (over the course of 2 seconds or so)?

Somtimes with mine it is barely noticeable and other times it is quite obvious. Generally with greater load (though not always) the engine will shut off more roughly.

Does anyone out there live in the DC area? It would be great to compare my car to another and I only know people with the Prius I which has a very smooth engine transition.

Have fun

Christian

Old 04-12-2004, 01:33 PM
Site Founder

Christian,

My engine pretty consistantly stays quiet except for 1 or 2 revvs when it first warms up. I never drive with any extra baggage besides a few people, so I can't say about a load.

Old 04-12-2004, 06:44 PM
Enthusiast

Jason,

Thanks for the reply. That answers my questions. I think I'm going to take another swipe at taking the car into the dealer. It took my parents several tries to get the rack and pinion problem fixed on their Prius I so Toyota seems to reward perseverance.

Christian