EV Headlight Hack Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 08:13 PM
Enthusiast
Default EV Headlight Hack Question

Hi, all. I've finally decided to go through with this simplest of install methods for the EV hack, but I'm stuck at a point that I didn't think would be that difficult. I've posted the question to Evan, since I was following his very detailed PDF, but I figured I'd reach out to the community at large for others who've also done this.

The problem I'm having is matching the photo of the connector pin in the PDF to the live pin in my hand in order to determine orientation for insertion into the ECU plug. The photo shows what appears to be the pin going in with the open side (the side where you would insert the wire) pointing away from the white retainer clip. The pin in the photo does not have nearly the same lateral shape as my pin (which was removed from the steering column per the instructions). When I tried this orientation, the pin jammed with over 2mms sticking out and I mangled it trying to force it in with a jeweler's screwdriver. A second pin inserted the other way around slid in almost smoothly by comparison, but then the retainer clip would not press all the way in.

Which is the proper orientation?

Any advice is appreciated.

--Bob

Old 03-04-2009, 07:10 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: EV Headlight Hack Question

Wow! Really? Hasn't anyone else done this? I know there are a few nay-sayers against this procedure, but I thought that of all the people that frequent this forum, someone would have done it.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:17 AM
Engineering first

Good morning!

I have an NHW11 Prius so I try not to comment on procedures I've not actually performed. As for folks who post here, it has gotten a little 'thin' but then there are specialized vehicle forums, like PriusChat and the "Prius Technical Stuff" group. Both are excellent sources for Prius Hacks.

Over time, I've come to realize that GreenHybrid has and retains a thin lead in the mileage database. It is also a place for all hybrid owners to meet, not just the Prius folks. But for specialized technical information, PriusChat and "Prius Technical Stuff" can't be beat.

Bob Wilson

Old 03-05-2009, 08:29 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the tip, Bob. I'd lurked on PriusChat, but I'd never signed up, preferring to come here instead. But I'll go post over there I guess. I'd never heard of the other group, so I'll definitely check them out.

I had to take my Prius in for regular service today, so I reassembled the dash for now.

Thanks again!

Old 03-12-2009, 02:48 AM
Enthusiast

Hi, all. Just reporting back that I completed the job. In case anyone else is interested in the future, the best orientation that worked for me was with the wire side facing the white retainer clip. I was still not able to push the clip all the way back in, but it was far in enough that with a little wiggle, the plug fit back into the ECU socket.

I've been playing with EV mode for a week now and while it was fun and interesting to do, it really is of limited value. On a full charge you might get 2 miles on a flat road or maybe a hair further with regen braking. But mostly it's really only good for moving the car short distances without engaging the ICE. I've used it to move 1/4 mile from one strip mall to another while my wife shopped or to get through a series of lights where I knew the ICE would otherwise be turning on and off and on... etc. At best it's been keeping my economy steady.

Old 03-12-2009, 05:37 AM
Engineering first

Good deal!

I've heard the same about the EV button. Our Prius is really a hybrid, gas and electric, not a full fledged, electric vehicle. Still, experimentation is good.

Bob Wilson

Old 03-22-2009, 02:46 PM
Enthusiast

One more note: I've discovered that, contrary to what I had previously read about this hack, you can force the ICE off with the EV switch. I haven't determined the exact parameters, but so far it seems that if you are below 35mph when you hit the switch, even if the engine coolant temp is below the "optimal" 140F, it will force the ICE off and let you coast on battery. This was a great find as it now means that if you have enough charge as you're reaching your destination, but the ICE is running, you can shut it off and wear down the battery on that last mile or so.