Experimental accelerator - NHW11

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 10:37 AM
Engineering first
Default Experimental accelerator - NHW11

Hi,

I've been cleaning and refurbishing older NHW11 accelerators that due to the wiping action, eventually fail. The only mitigation is to maximize use of cruise control but that is not always possible. Regardless, I've modified this accelerator as part of my studies:

http://hiwaay.net/~bzwilson/prius/pri_acc_3.html

Eventually, an MSP430 will use programmable pots to interface with the vehicle and other sensors. The accelerator position will be measured by a non-contact, sensor, that has yet to be selected:
  • magnetic pickup
  • optical
  • Hall effect
  • capacitive
Questions?

Bob Wilson

Old 10-20-2008, 11:22 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Experimental accelerator - NHW11

Could John Q Public adjust to a non-moving/moveable accelerator pedal...??

My suggestion would be to use a resolver and a small torque motor to "push-back" against foot pressure, hold the pedal in a relatively fixed position, and use the forcing current into the torque motor as the signal to control engine output.

The other advantage of a torque motor would be that the motor could use additional force against foot pressure as a "signal". Sinaling that if you do not "back-off" TC will soon, VERY soon, kick-in.

That reverse "torqueing" method is already being used to "signal" that you are turning the stearing wheel "too far" if VSC activates. I had suggested a vibratory method as is used in commecial aircraft stick-shakers, but....

Back in my days of maintaining NC machine tools at Boeing brushless syncho position resolvers, and printed circuit resolvers where commonplace.

I seem to remember that the HSD electric power stearing system uses two resolvers, one at each end of the stearing shaft torque tube.

And I would disable the accelerator pedal function if the brake is applied. Improve fleetwide FE and stop the brake wear from inadvertent/unintentional left foot braking.

Old 10-20-2008, 01:06 PM
Engineering first
Default Re: Experimental accelerator - NHW11

An interesting idea but beyond my immediate goals. I'm out to fix the "big hand" syndrome by eliminating the mechanical wear of the pot pickup 'fingers.'

The second goal is a home-built cruise control that keeps the car in fuel-efficient, engine ranges. It will be a little 'sloppy' on the speed control but trade this for better cross-country fuel efficiency.

Bob Wilson