extra batteries

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 07:56 AM
2007 Prius owner
Default extra batteries

Does anyone have a source of supply for extra batteries for the Prius. I hear that you can add batteries and get more miles out of it.

Old 05-31-2007, 08:37 AM
Engineering first
Default Re: extra batteries

Originally Posted by billynjoanna
Does anyone have a source of supply for extra batteries for the Prius. I hear that you can add batteries and get more miles out of it.
It is a little more involved than that. I would recommend attending Hybridfest or some of the other hybrid gatherings this year. You'll likely run into folks who have some experience in that area.

Are you unhappy with your current MPG? What sort of numbers are you getting?

What I'd like to suggest is getting the maximum out of the standard car. This can often be accomplished by better maintenance and operations such as the FAQ discusses. We call this 'low hanging fruit' since it doesn't cost more or risk the warranty.

If you still want to go to the next level, there are technical forums where we discuss such things. However, these forums have folks who are willing to risk the remaining warranty and fix anything they break. It is not for the faint hearted, those with little or no disposable income and presumes the technical ability and interest in doing your own modifications.

Bob Wilson

Old 06-01-2007, 09:24 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: extra batteries

It is not a simpe thing to 'parallel' additional HV batteries to Prius, but it can be done. I don't mind saying that it would be far beyond my technical skills.

Still, it is true that the batteries are available from salvage vehicle dismantlers. Prius are 'crashing out' of the fleet more rapidly than they are failing in mechanical or electrical ways. If you wish to acquire the parts, for whatever reason, they are available.

DAS