Funky Mouldy smell

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 11:36 AM
Enthusiast
Default Funky Mouldy smell

Got a 2006 Prius and it has about 2500 miles on it. Just yesterday I noticed a funky/mouldy smell coming from the A/C vents. After awhile it faded and I didn't smell it anymore. This morning, same thing. Anyone with any ideas as to what this could be caused by? I has rained a little lately and I've only washed the car 3 times.

Old 09-19-2006, 03:00 PM
Engineering first
Default Re: Funky Mouldy smell

Originally Posted by Tazmanhawaii
Got a 2006 Prius and it has about 2500 miles on it. Just yesterday I noticed a funky/mouldy smell coming from the A/C vents. After awhile it faded and I didn't smell it anymore. This morning, same thing. Anyone with any ideas as to what this could be caused by? I has rained a little lately and I've only washed the car 3 times.
Do you hear water sloshing when you make a turn in 'stealth mode'?

Speculation but just in front of the windshield, under the wipers, is a pan that goes across the top of the engine compartment. It is possible for the drain to get plugged and then you would have a constant source of water. The outside air intake is just above this pan and feeds to the outside air filter located just under the glove box. Water on thhe filter == mold.

Let us know if this has anything to do with it.

Bob Wilson

Old 09-19-2006, 08:29 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. I heard that at PriusChat also. I'll have to check it out, but with the car only having 2500 miles on it and it's not parked under any trees, I am inclined to think that may not be what it is. But, one never knows.

Old 09-20-2006, 01:40 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Historically, the glues and adhesives that are used to attach dash duct work together are often times temperature sensitive and tend to emit strange odors, especially when there is a temperature chagne associated with a humidity change. I doubt it is liquid from the air intake vents or the area below the wipers, but it is the glue that holds the duct work together "reacting" to significant temperature changes.

Old 09-20-2006, 03:52 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Could it just be condensate from the AC sitting and molding between uses? I've driven a non-Prius that did just that before.

Old 09-22-2006, 11:41 AM
Enthusiast

I think you have a dead mouse in the vents . There is another thread that talks about it...+G