Gas gauge slow to indicate after fill-up

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 12:27 PM
My Wife's car but my toy!
Default Gas gauge slow to indicate after fill-up

On the last fil-up I got in the Prius and noticed the gas gauge was still on 1 bar. As I started to drive it slowly came up to full over a couple minutes. I don't think I have ever noticed it do this before. But with only 7 tanks filled I might just have missed it. Normal?

Old 02-09-2006, 02:11 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Gas gauge slow to indicate after fill-up

Originally Posted by mg48
On the last fil-up I got in the Prius and noticed the gas gauge was still on 1 bar. As I started to drive it slowly came up to full over a couple minutes. I don't think I have ever noticed it do this before. But with only 7 tanks filled I might just have missed it. Normal?
Yes, it's normal if you power down while fueling. I tend to leave mine powered up so by the time I get done filling, the gauge is full.

Old 02-09-2006, 02:19 PM
Enthusiast

I've noticed that also, just one of those things. Probably has to do with bladder in gas tank. It also seems like the MPG and miles on the consumption screen doesn't automatically reset unless you wait for the gas gauge to reach full. I usually use that time to log my miles, MPG, etc for the database.

Old 02-10-2006, 03:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I think the reason it's slow to register changes is to prevent sloshing or steep hills from registering as changes in fuel level. It kind of gives you the "average" fuel level rather than the instant fuel level.