Ha Ha Ha I An Out Of Gas!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 06:44 PM
Enthusiast
Default Ha Ha Ha I An Out Of Gas!!!!

DUH!!
It's pretty bad when you run out of gas in your Prius, but like they say once that last bar starts blinking you BETTER get to a filling station quickly!!

Old 09-01-2007, 01:25 AM
Engineering first
Default Re: Ha Ha Ha I An Out Of Gas!!!!

My rule of thumb is to put a 1 gallon spare can in the car at two pips. But then I'm running out of gas to change from one brand to another.

Bob Wilson

Old 09-05-2007, 12:58 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I think Toyota needs to fix this issue in the Prius. The blinking is only a low fuel warning, not an out of fuel indicator. With every vehicle it means you have at least a gallon of fuel left and should be no different in the Prius!

Old 09-06-2007, 10:07 AM

I agree Resist. I think its related to the bladder gas tank myself.
I have notice my 10 bar display is not really indicative of actual
gasoline remaining in the tank. I think that and running out on a
blinking last bar are both tied to the tank.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:44 AM
Active Enthusiast

Well, two days ago I got as low as I have ever been. Two bars. When I refilled, low and behold I put in 80% of what the tank is supposed to hold. I'd say the gauge is accurate on my car at least.
Also, while I would never suggest doing this, if you fill up to the top of the filler spout you will carry about 2-4 litres more than if you stop when the pump shuts off. Doing this can damage the fuel tank, so take that as a warning. The full fill thing has happened to me four or five times now, due to pumps that didn't shut off. All at different gas stations.

Old 09-10-2007, 01:19 PM

I wish my gauge was consistent. Mine changes with the seasons. It also is inconsistent within a tank. I can go anywhere from 140 to 180 miles before a single blip is lost on mine. It is like an inverted bell curve. They go by very quickly (30-40 miles) until I get near the end of a tank. Then the
mileage starts increasing again at around 3 blips left.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by abowles
I have notice my 10 bar display is not really indicative of actual gasoline remaining in the tank.
Not in defense of Toyota but, every make of vehicle has had some issue with incorrect fuel readings since like 1998. Some of it has be related to the newer fuels. Even long before this though, I have always known a fuel gauge is only an estimate of remaining fuel on level ground and is usually not linear. So while 3/4 of a tank might be accurate, 1/4 will not. But every vehicle I have owned always had a fairly accurate low fuel warning light. With the Prius it is hit or miss and that pisses me off.

Old 09-11-2007, 05:16 AM

I have noticed that too Resist. I was just thinking if the computer in my Prius can calculate my mileage within 3-5% why the gauge can't be that accurate as well. I guess I can always hope.

Old 09-12-2007, 05:30 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Resist
Not in defense of Toyota but, every make of vehicle has had some issue with incorrect fuel readings since like 1998. Some of it has be related to the newer fuels. Even long before this though, I have always known a fuel gauge is only an estimate of remaining fuel on level ground and is usually not linear. So while 3/4 of a tank might be accurate, 1/4 will not. But every vehicle I have owned always had a fairly accurate low fuel warning light. With the Prius it is hit or miss and that pisses me off.
I had an '87(?) Plymouth Reliant (you remember the K-car) with a gas gauge that was extremely non-linear. It would take forever to reach the 1/4 tank mark, and then I'd be out of gas almost immediately after that. I had my dash apart for something else (I think I was installing a fuel economy monitor), and I noticed a couple of set screws on the back of the gauge. It turned out they were to adjust the upper and lower limits of the gauge. Once adjusted, it was remarkably more accurate. You'd think that such adjustments would be even easier in an electronic version of a gas gauge.

Old 09-14-2007, 06:38 PM
Former 280Z owner

Here's my experience with the "Guess Gauge". When it flashes you better get gas! This happened to me the first week I had the car! Not like other cars fuel warning lights!

Good Evening to All,

When I get a new vehicle I like to calculate how much fuel is left in the tank when the low fuel indicator comes on. On most vehicles my experience indicates approx. 1-2 gallons. Knowing this figure helps prevent an out of gas in a remote area or at a time when stations are closed.

Sooo, on the way home from work this evening, the low fuel light flashes. I figure I've got about 40 miles to go to get to my home town gas station where prices are low. Well, I run out of gas on the Interstate after only 25 miles! Was on cruise control doing 65mph, Master warning light on dash comes on, the high temp coolant light comes on the MFD, and speed drops to a steady 53mph.

6 Bars of energy took me about 2 miles at 53 mph, then up an off ramp at about 25 mph, and then barely moving with 2 Bars (purple by the way) at about 5 mph into a gas station that was a 1/4 mile off the ramp.

After receiving some fuel, engine started right away, back onto the Interstate. A few miles later the warning lights go out, and after about 10 miles I'm back to 6 Bars. Hopefully no damage done.

Lesson Learned, get gas RIGHT AWAY when low fuel flashes!

PS: Have had car 2 weeks, driven a little over 1000 miles and have averaged 47-49 mpg for the first 2 tanks. Very satisfied, best of class quality. I am learning new hybrid driving techniques each day. Looking forward to averaging 55 mph back and forth to work. 70/30 mix of Interstate and rural/city streets. 50 mile trip each way.

Would like to hear if others have had similar experience running out of gas.

Regards,
Dave

Quick Reply: Ha Ha Ha I An Out Of Gas!!!!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands