Ha Ha Ha I An Out Of Gas!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 07:30 PM
Engineering first
Wink Re: Ha Ha Ha I An Out Of Gas!!!!

Originally Posted by silver squirell
. . . Have had car 2 weeks, driven a little over 1000 miles and have averaged 47-49 mpg for the first 2 tanks. Very satisfied, best of class quality. I am learning new hybrid driving techniques each day. Looking forward to averaging 55 miles per hour back and forth to work. 70/30 mix of Interstate and rural/city streets. 50 mile trip each way.

Would like to hear if others have had similar experience running out of gas.
As part of my gas studies, I've run out more than two dozen times. When I get down to the last bar, I put a one gallon spare can in the trunk and adjust my route to avoid limited access, highways.

As for mileage, not to worry, it will come.

GOOD LUCK!
Bob Wilson

Old 09-14-2007, 07:37 PM
Former 280Z owner
Default Re: Ha Ha Ha I An Out Of Gas!!!!

Hi Bob,

I just filled out the gas log from my notebook. I'm a little over 50 mpg avg. for 5000 miles. The last 2 tanks fulls have been 52mpg. I'm learning to drive smoother and accelerate slower due to watching the MFD. The engine is also getting more broken in.

Dave

Old 09-14-2007, 07:44 PM
Engineering first

I just filled out the gas log from my notebook. I'm a little over 50 mpg avg. for 5000 miles. The last 2 tanks fulls have been 52mpg. I'm learning to drive smoother and accelerate slower due to watching the MFD. The engine is also getting more broken in.
You might start looking for a block heater. This will help your cold weather mileage.

Bob Wilson

Old 09-14-2007, 07:59 PM
Former 280Z owner

How much improvement do you think an EBH will make in New England winters. January and February is almost always below freezing in the mornings. However, I don't have the ability to power the heater at work for the drive back.

Dave

Old 09-15-2007, 05:22 AM
Engineering first

How much improvement do you think an EBH will make in New England winters. January and February is almost always below freezing in the mornings. However, I don't have the ability to power the heater at work for the drive back.
The heat decays over time and I find going out for lunch is enough to reheat the engine and so my evening commute is efficient. The overnight chill is the biggest problem and the block heater helps.

Bob Wilson

Old 09-15-2007, 02:02 PM
Former 280Z owner

Thanks Bob,

Got the signature edit figured out.

Dave

Old 10-24-2007, 11:34 AM
Enthusiast

Eleven o'clock at night on I-20 coming home from Atlanta, the "refuel now" light comes on along with a warning ding. Two miles! later the engine quits and I am on 100% battery power at 50mph. I made it to within a mile of an exit ramp in rural South Carolina. Walked the mile to a (luckily open) gas station, bought a gas can and a gallon of gas. Walked back to the Prius, put the fuel in and drove back to the station to fill up only to find that they closed at 11:30. Luckily I made it the next exit and was able to refuel. The next day the dealership said that they had fixed the problem - not to worry - now I should be able to go at least 50 miles once the warning light came on. I tested this statement by running until the warning came on. The tank took 10.6 gallons. Do NOT let the gauge go beyond 2 bars without spare fuel in the back.
I suspect that the problem lies with the bladder tank configuration. Still, it seems as though this problem could be solved by Toyota without too much difficulty. It is the only complaint I have with this great vehicle.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:22 AM
Enthusiast

Have you seen this?
When you approach empty, gas up a dollar or two, or three. And you are still on empty. The bar will not come back to its real level.

So when the bleep flashes so urgently, and the computer bothers me every other second to remind me to gas up. Then I finally gas up a full tank: guess what, it's 8.9 gallons!

Always fill up full tank
Don't be a cheap guy like me. Always fill to the top.

Old 11-12-2007, 01:36 PM
Enthusiast

I am at 345 miles on the current tank - the gauge shows one bar above half full. I sincerely doubt that I will approach 700 miles on one tank. The gauge has not moved in over 100 miles of travel. I feel that Toyota needs to address the problem.

Old 06-20-2008, 05:17 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gas guzzler

Now however, the Check Engine light stays on and won't go off. The battery voltage looks normal. My question is did she induce some kind of error code by running out of gas? Looks like I need to go to the dealer to have that checked out. Thanks for any help.
I recently learned there is an error code in the NHW20s for too many restarts. You can clear this by disconnecting the battery negative cable at the frame and leaving it that way for about 10 minutes. Then reconnect and start up the car. The error code should clear. You will have to re-enter your radio preferences and other 'soft' stuff.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 06-20-2008 at 01:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Ha Ha Ha I An Out Of Gas!!!!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands