Ha Ha Ha I An Out Of Gas!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 07:50 AM
A proud Prius Owner
Default Re: Ha Ha Ha I An Out Of Gas!!!!

Originally Posted by abowles
I wish my gauge was consistent. Mine changes with the seasons. It also is inconsistent within a tank. I can go anywhere from 140 to 180 miles before a single blip is lost on mine. It is like an inverted bell curve. They go by very quickly (30-40 miles) until I get near the end of a tank. Then the
mileage starts increasing again at around 3 blips left.

I have noticed the same I almost made it to 140miles on the first blip. For others I when I have reached the last blip blinking, I fill my car up and only put 10gals in it. You at least have 1.9 gals left.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:22 AM
EPG
Enthusiast

I keep reading about the gas gauge and its possible inaccuracies, so am wondering: Should I, in contributing to the mpg database, not be using my actual calculations? Because they're not as good as the onboard computer (which claims I'm getting several more mpg than I actually seem to)?

I'd kind of assumed up to now that actual fuel consumption would be the gold standard, but is that true of a bladder tank? And how does the computer figure mpg?

Old 09-08-2008, 11:18 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EPG
I keep reading about the gas gauge and its possible inaccuracies, so am wondering: Should I, in contributing to the mpg database, not be using my actual calculations? Because they're not as good as the on-board computer (which claims I'm getting several more mpg than I actually seem to)?
Oh, another! Welcome to the MPG minus 5 discussion!

When I first got my Prius 2007, it was frustrating that the manual gas amount I paid for at the pump divided into the odometer mileage is always 5 MPG lower than the computer! The computer has been exaggerating!!!

But after a year, the difference is shrinking. Now my manual calculation is about 1 MPG lower than Computer (reasonable).

In comparison, it should be mandatory that all users should use manual. (Again I'm sure many of us will re-start the "how do you know xxx is accurate" debate.)

Last edited by New Yorker; 09-08-2008 at 08:14 PM.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

The computer uses injector on times and rate to calculate how much fuel was injected into the engine, then divides that total by the distance traveled.

Pearl is pretty close on this. Last tank (filled up yesterday) was right on compared to my calculations (amount of fuel added and distance traveled).

You will note that it sometimes takes 20 sec. or so to finalize at a MPG number (like when you're waiting at a light the tank MPG number will change, even though the engine is not running).

The fuel gauge is a separate device. It's "stand alone", that is, doesn't rely on the other calculations. The fuel gauge won't reset if you only put a very small amount of fuel in the car. It takes 2-3 gallons to trip it. Some claim there is a sensor in the filler neck, but I think the gauge is actually operated by a microprocessor, and it watches for changes in the float height and uses that input and some logic to assign "pips" to the display.

Note also that when the engine stops there is still about a gallon in the fuel tank, in the depression where the pickup and fuel pump is, along with a depression below to collect "junk". Note also that fuel pumps don't like to run without being immersed in fuel (for cooling). It -might- be possible to overheat the pump just before you completely run out (the car shuts down the pump if the engine stops).

Old 09-08-2008, 01:39 PM
EPG
Enthusiast

Sorry if I hit a sore point. I'd driven a rental Prius 1,800 miles this summer and had seen the opposite happen a couple of times -- gas mileage actually seemed better than the computer indicated -- so I was prepared for there to be some discrepancy, though not necessarily in the computer's favor.

Have only gone two tanks, though, and I'm already getting mileage twice as good as I got in my Jetta, so I'm pretty pleased. Just not quite as smug as the car itself seems to be...

Last edited by EPG; 09-08-2008 at 01:41 PM.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:47 PM
EPG
Enthusiast

Oh, and a cursory look through the Prius database suggests the higher MPGs for cars like mine that might not be broken in yet seem more likely to be associated with manual calculations. So much for bragging rights, I guess.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:30 PM
Enthusiast

dave
thanks for post what prius was that ???

Old 03-27-2009, 12:48 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by coleh
Eleven o'clock at night on I-20 coming home from Atlanta, the "refuel now" light comes on along with a warning ding. Two miles! later the engine quits and I am on 100% battery power at 50mph. I made it to within a mile of an exit ramp in rural South Carolina. Walked the mile to a (luckily open) gas station, bought a gas can and a gallon of gas. Walked back to the Prius, put the fuel in and drove back to the station to fill up only to find that they closed at 11:30. Luckily I made it the next exit and was able to refuel. The next day the dealership said that they had fixed the problem - not to worry - now I should be able to go at least 50 miles once the warning light came on. I tested this statement by running until the warning came on. The tank took 10.6 gallons. Do NOT let the gauge go beyond 2 bars without spare fuel in the back.
I suspect that the problem lies with the bladder tank configuration. Still, it seems as though this problem could be solved by Toyota without too much difficulty. It is the only complaint I have with this great vehicle.
I know exactly where you are coming from on this. We have run out twice, both times after the warning ding we only made it a couple of miles. Once we made it to a station, the other time we did not. Now we always fill up when it gets down to 2 bars left. But here's the weird part, I can only put like 7 gallons in the tank and it's full again. I would think that I'm getting dangerously low considering how after that final bar I am flat empty. But it only holds like 7 gallons! I would think it would hold 10 or 11!

This makes no sense at all and every time I take my car in for service I always mention how the gas tank and gage are way off. They say no one has ever had this problem which I find hard to beleive. I want them to check it out but they don't think I have a problem.

It's like the tank don't recognize that there is 12 gallons in there, only like 8 or 9!! Am I crazy??

Old 05-04-2009, 08:32 AM
Enthusiast

I once read that the Prius "gas gauge" is realy a "guess gauge"

Old 05-19-2009, 03:15 PM
Active Enthusiast

One thing to watch out for is the fact that temperature has quite an effect on the physical density of gasoline. Remember the "heat expands, cold contracts (shrinks)" thing from Jr. High Science (if you were able to stay awake)?

Gasoline at a warmer temperature has expanded, therefore you have less 'potential energy' available than if it were cooler.

Truckers were measuring the temperature of their diesel last summer down here in Arizona to get an idea about the mileage they would get from the volume of fuel they purchased. Google 'Hot Fuel' to get a look at the controversy.

Beware: if you live in an area where it gets quite warm (like here), you will get your blood pressure raised. One of these days, I'm going to open a torch and pitchfork concession.