HCH owner has Prius question

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 04:59 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: HCH owner has Prius question

Originally Posted by wtallison
Actually, I have an EV, but can't tell that it makes any difference. Although it seems that it should, the truth is, that the battery gets drained pretty quickly, and then needs to be charged. The time it takes to charge it back up is just about equal to the remainder of the commute. So, what I have saved by using the EV gets paid back when recharging the battery.
Actually, I meant an electric vehicle, not the EV button.

The EV button will not help unless it can prevent a cold start. Moving your car around in a parking lot or otherwise driving a short distance. I also use it to kill the ICE at a stoplight when the ICE doesn't automatically shut off. There are a few other uses, such as extending a glide by connecting downhill segments that are separated by a slight incline.

All of these examples are instances when you can stop the ICE from running when all yo need is a little nudge, low power, to get you where you want to go. Unless you plan your route very carefully, the EV button will not help one bit.

Old 03-12-2006, 05:12 AM
YA RLY.

Originally Posted by krousdb
YOu would be a good candidate for an EV.
I wish Honda still made the EVPlus 18 miles total workday commute for me. An EV would be so **** obvious for my application it would be a no-brainer.

Old 03-12-2006, 06:29 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Here's what I'm wondering:
1..How much of a 4.1 mile drive can an unmodified Prius do in EV mode?
2..How far inbetween stops do you have to drive before autostop can function?
3..Has anyone had any *real* problems with this car (i.e. problems that involve safety and drivability?)

First we wont hold it agenst you for purchasing a Honda .. LOL <J/K>

Answers for questions 2 & 3
#3..I have owned my 04 since new. I have only replaced a set of tires and Im siting at 40kThe car has a 5 star crashrating, I never have had to put it to the crash test..
Toyotas are known for being reliable,
#2..The car autostops everytime you come to a stop. and will run ev up to 15-25mph unless you floor it..

The agency you work for must not let you have a take home car, like the one I work for.. Since I have a take home car I only drive the tundra on saturday, the wife drives the Prius 6 days a week at 50mile round trips and fills up every sunday.. we used to fill up twice a week.

Last edited by PriusGuy04; 03-12-2006 at 06:34 AM.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:39 AM

I would like to see a Hybrid Mini-Van & Tundra Pick-Up, by 2008.
I did hear that Toyota may be offering a Diesel Tundra in 2007!

I do know they are running a hybrid mini-van in japan But will it ever happen here?
I don't trust Consumer Reports after the bias articles on Hybrids.

As my signature states "Ask the person that drives one".

Implied if you want to know about a car just ask those who drive one on a daily basis or have open minded drivers test each model for 7months then give a detailed article....

Last edited by PriusGuy04; 03-12-2006 at 09:46 AM.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:41 AM

According to Consumer Reports, you won't:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...chTerm=hybrids

No hybrid minivans in their view of the future, through 2010 estimated. Pickups are the Chevy Silverado and the GMC Sierra. Isn't there already a Silverado, representing the "weak hybrid" category?

DAS

Old 03-12-2006, 08:34 AM
Hybrid True Believer

Originally Posted by PriusGuy04

First we wont hold it agenst you for purchasing a Honda .. LOL <J/K>

Answers for questions 2 & 3
#3..I have owned my 04 since new. I have only replaced a set of tires and Im siting at 40kThe car has a 5 star crashrating, I never have had to put it to the crash test..
Toyotas are known for being reliable,
#2..The car autostops everytime you come to a stop. and will run ev up to 15-25mph unless you floor it..

The agency you work for must not let you have a take home car, like the one I work for.. Since I have a take home car I only drive the tundra on saturday, the wife drives the Prius 6 days a week at 50mile round trips and fills up every sunday.. we used to fill up twice a week.
Thanks for all the input! I think that the Prius would be a good choice for me in 2008. My 4.1 mile drive is mostly flat and mostly 35 mph or less. The Prius is also a pretty car.

Fortunately, I should get a decent trade-in for my HCH once the payments are done. It is in very good mechanical condition and has been dealer-serviced on time for every standard maintenance.

Old 03-12-2006, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by wtallison
I have never driven an HCH. But from what I understand about IMA and HSD, for city driving, the advantage goes to HSD IMHO. I have had great success with my Prius in city driving, easily beating the 60 MPG EPA estimate.

I am truly impressed. My city average is 43-47 ('04 Prius, 38K miles) in the summer and 39-42 in the winter. Most of my city driving consists of a 5 mile commute. The engine does not have time to warm up to an efficient temperature before I arrive either at home or at work.

I generally get about the same on the highway, a little better if on secondary roads that I can drive at 55-60 mph.

Is there a secret to your much better mileage other than driving for longer distances?

Thank you.

Bill Allison
wtallison@gmail.com
WOW a (5mi) commute? How many times do you refuel? Once a month?

Does anyone feel that they drive more, owning a hybrid..?

Old 03-12-2006, 04:24 PM
Hybrid True Believer

WOW a (5mi) commute? How many times do you refuel? Once a month?

Does anyone feel that they drive more, owning a hybrid..?
Yeah! I got 33 days out of my most recent tank of gas. Huzzah!

Old 03-12-2006, 05:01 PM

HOw long did you go with a non hybrid?

LOL the envy of drivers everywere... 33 dys per fill up, Sweeeeeet...

Old 03-12-2006, 06:25 PM
Hybrid True Believer

HOw long did you go with a non hybrid?

LOL the envy of drivers everywere... 33 dys per fill up, Sweeeeeet...
Actually, I owned the hybrid before I got my new job. My old job basically ate a Toyota Echo in just one year. At the time, I was a district manager for a chain of cell phone stores. I drove a LOT. Now I'm a Pre-trial Investigator.

It is AWESOME having a single-digit round-trip commute!