Hello, new owner with questions here

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 07:15 AM
Enthusiast
Question Hello, new owner with questions here

Hello All, and thanks in advance for your advice.

I have bought online a '01 Prius with 56K miles, am looking forward to taking delivery of it next week. I need some advice on what I should do first. The car doesn't have the maintainance guide so I am somewhat in the dark regarding scheduled maint. Is there anywhere here which shows the schedule? I have already bought an owners manual for it on Ebay. I plan on changing the oil and switching to synthetic. CVT fluid should be changed at 60K correct? Does everyone use the toyota fluid or are synthetics more popular? BTW when you drain the CVT does it drain all the fluid or only part of it like my other cars? I understand brakes last a long time, when should I expect to replace them? I am looking forward to driving my new toy. I expect this forum to be a great source of information. I have used other car forums extensively. I haven't even sat in it yet and already all these questions!

Old 04-09-2006, 07:33 AM
Engineering first
Thumbs up Re: Hello, new owner with questions here

Hi,

Originally Posted by muleears
Hello All, and thanks in advance for your advice.
Welcome to the club. We have a FAQ:
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...5101#post55101

Let me know if the FAQ works for you.

I have bought online a '01 Prius with 56K miles, am looking forward to taking delivery of it next week.
I bought my 03 Prius in October the same way:

http://hiwaay.net/~bzwilson/prius/

I paid $17.300 for mine, how did you do?

I need some advice on what I should do first. The car doesn't have the maintainance guide so I am somewhat in the dark regarding scheduled maint. Is there anywhere here which shows the schedule? I have already bought an owners manual for it on Ebay.
Contact Toyota and either buy the manuals (my choice) or use their online service:
http://www.techinfo.toyota.com/

New manuals from Toyota cost be a little over $200. I found the two volume maintenance manual quite adequate and the electrical schematic manual not quite so important. These manuals show up on Ebay but the rule of thumb is "Good", "Fast" and "Cheap." I'd recommend "Good" and "Fast" on the two maintenance volumes and then "Cheap" for the electrical diagram manual (any 01-03 should be fine.)

I plan on changing the oil and switching to synthetic. CVT fluid should be changed at 60K correct? Does everyone use the toyota fluid or are synthetics more popular? BTW when you drain the CVT does it drain all the fluid or only part of it like my other cars?
I've switched my CVT to Amsoil:

http://hiwaay.net/~bzwilson/prius/pri_T_cold.html

I would strongly recommend you have the old oil tested and my web page shows the results of testing my old oil and a virigin "Type T" and "Amsoil ATF" from my service. For $15, it is a great way to get and idea of what has been going on.

You also need to get a gallon of Toyota coolant and replace the inverter coolant. I didn't test mine but it was terribly pale compared to the replacement. This suggests it needed replacing and the service interval is the same.

Also, pick up some oil change washers where ever you buy the oil / ATF fluid. They don't cost much and I'm convenced they are the way to go.

I understand brakes last a long time, when should I expect to replace them? I am looking forward to driving my new toy. I expect this forum to be a great source of information. I have used other car forums extensively. I haven't even sat in it yet and already all these questions!
I've also been happy with the Yahoo Group "Prius Tech Stuff" forum. Those folks are serious and a wealth of information.

GOOD LUCK!

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 04-09-2006 at 09:26 AM.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:49 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Hello, new owner with questions here

I bought mine for $11,300 with 56K mi. I have already ordered some amsoil for the engine, next I guess I'll do the CVT. How many quarts do I need for the CVT?

Old 04-09-2006, 12:41 PM
Engineering first

I bought mine for $11,300 with 56K mi.
Good deal! You might also consider some of the after market cruise control modifications. The hybrid vehicle controller has one pin that needs just a resistor network. Someone in CA put up a web page with his approach.

I have already ordered some amsoil for the engine, next I guess I'll do the CVT. How many quarts do I need for the CVT?
The manual calls for 4.9 quarts but I put in all five, minus the testing sample. But I didn't take the pan off. The next change, actually a flush, I'll pull the pan and verify the level.

Bob Wilson

Old 04-09-2006, 01:53 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

You can read/download the maintenance guide at John1701a's site:

http://john1701a.com/prius/prius-maintain02.htm

Look at the front of the driver's door frame to see if there is a sticker there saying "SSC 40G". If not you should determine whether the HV battery resealing has been done, by having a Toyota shop research your "VIN number". The work would be free at any Toyota shop but confirm that they have the parts in stock before dropping it off.

Bob has provided some info on installing aftermarket cruise control. There are also a Toyota parts kit for this, costing about $175. The installation would not be difficult for someone who is contemplating doing their own CVT fluid change! I added cruise control to my 2001 Prius shortly after taking the first long road trip...

DAS