Help in finding correct info for headlight replace

Old 08-28-2008, 05:55 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Help in finding correct info for headlight replace

Hello all. I am writing on behalf of my wife since its her car. I own an 07 Camry Hybrid and dont know a thing about her car. She has an '06 Prius with (it looks like) an HID type bulb - burned out.

Dealer wanted (ready?) almost $500 to replace the pair. ARE THEY KIDDING? Has someone out thee repalced theirs and if so - what type bulb and process???

Sorry to use a thread to ask but i did a search and nothign popped up for me (but then, nothing new - i can never find anything).

Thanks for your input!

Old 08-29-2008, 08:16 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Help in finding correct info for headlight replace

The following PriusChat string may be of interest to you, as it shows how some owners have solved this problem. The correct HID bulb type varies by model year, so make sure that you buy the correct bulb(s) for your wife's car.

Note that access to the bulbs is tight and relatively difficult. The "correct" service approach requires removing the front bumper cover; however some owners have managed to remove the bulb by squeezing their hand into the very small available space.

http://priuschat.com/forums/care-mai...ment-ouch.html

Old 09-01-2008, 07:21 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Help in finding correct info for headlight replace

Thanks Patrick.

Quick glance seems to refer to pre-06 Prius. I'll still sift thru the threads though. Was hopeing that maybe someone with an 06 had already tackled this and replaced the bulbs. I know its an HID type since it has that "instant on/off" look when activated. Other bulbs "glow up" when you turn them on so i know they are different - just do not know for sure the bulb type (maybe the owners manual, huh ).

Anyway, any help form someone already thru this would be appreciated!

Thanks !