Hey, do you want to tow a Trailer with a Prius?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 03:37 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Hey, do you want to tow a Trailer with a Prius?

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...guid=101046121

i set up this group after getting a dozen or so emails from the US, Canada and the UK about my experiences towing a small trailer across the USA three times last summer.

so, if anyone asks you, yes it is possible. i did it, and so have several other folks i've been corresponding with.

many of the questions have been things like "how much can you tow?" and "where do i get the parts and accessories i'll need to let the Prius tow the trailer?"

i've put a few answers here at GH in some other threads, and some answers on my own site at http://www.plusaf.com/prius/prius.htm

if you're interested, hit those links and tell your stories.

just don't flat-out tell anyone to not do it...

Old 02-22-2006, 12:40 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Hey, do you want to tow a Trailer with a Prius?

We have a hitch on our Prius I, but never towed anything yet, just for bikes. We have hauled a trunk full of large paving stones up steep hills without any problems, so I have no doubt it could tow a small trailer.

Old 02-23-2006, 08:05 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Hey, do you want to tow a Trailer with a Prius?

Originally Posted by Schwa
We have a hitch on our Prius I, but never towed anything yet, just for bikes. We have hauled a trunk full of large paving stones up steep hills without any problems, so I have no doubt it could tow a small trailer.
i've brought home three Mills Pride C1 cabinets from Home Depot in the back, with the hatch closed! pull the headrest out of the passenger's seat, move the seat all the way forward, then drop the seatback all the way down! then lower the back seat-backs and pull the sliding cover out of its slots and drop them on the floor behind the front seats.

three C1 cabinets plus some other accessories: likely about 4-500 pounds, and the car wasn't noticeably slower than normal!

i love my Prius!