High Mileage Prius

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 12:09 PM
Enthusiast
Default High Mileage Prius

Hi,
I'm looking for a first car and have decided on a Prius. The one I have my eye on is a 2005 with 190,000 miles. That's no type, 190k. I'm only 17 so if I want a prius, this is what I have to settle for.
to be p

My question is, is there anything in particular I should look out for? I know the batteries are rated for 150-200k miles or 10 years. I'm assuming there are little to no service records available, so besides an oil change, what maintance will need performed? I'm also hoping that with the money I save buying one with high miles I can use to tune it up.

Thank for the advice,
William

Old 06-11-2008, 12:34 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: High Mileage Prius

That is a alot of miles for a car only 3 years old. I would ask for the maintanence records and get a car fax report on the Prius. Also, see if they have an mpg records if the owner kept them.

Old 06-11-2008, 01:58 PM
Engineering first

Hi,

Where is the car?

Will the seller let you take it to a Toyota service center and let you pay for:
  • dump all ECU codes
  • dump all battery module voltages
  • read wheel alignment
General checkout of the car.

With this information, we can offer some advice.

Originally Posted by qwertmonkey
. . .
I'm looking for a first car and have decided on a Prius. The one I have my eye on is a 2005 with 190,000 miles. That's no type, 190k. I'm only 17 so if I want a prius, this is what I have to settle for.
to be p

My question is, is there anything in particular I should look out for? I know the batteries are rated for 150-200k miles or 10 years. I'm assuming there are little to no service records available, so besides an oil change, what maintance will need performed? I'm also hoping that with the money I save buying one with high miles I can use to tune it up.
. . .

Old 06-11-2008, 02:55 PM
Enthusiast

This is unfortunately not an option. The vehicle is at an auction.

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
Hi,

Where is the car?

Will the seller let you take it to a Toyota service center and let you pay for:
  • dump all ECU codes
  • dump all battery module voltages
  • read wheel alignment
General checkout of the car.

With this information, we can offer some advice.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:27 PM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by qwertmonkey
This is unfortunately not an option. The vehicle is at an auction.
I would recommend using Ebay and seeing the completed sales prices for hybrids. I think you'll be surprised.

Bob Wilson

Old 06-11-2008, 09:30 PM
Enthusiast

I just got a call from my broker. The 2005 Prius with 190k miles went for $11k. Well, that kinda kills my plan. Have no fear, I will continue my search.

Thank you everyone for the advice. I can't wait until I find my own Prius!

I would recommend using Ebay and seeing the completed sales prices for hybrids. I think you'll be surprised.

Bob Wilson

Old 06-12-2008, 06:56 AM
Outcast Enthusiast

FWIW, there is a pretty cool section of autochannel.com that lists the e-bay Sold prices. Not sure if there are any other (better?) sites out there.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:08 AM
MPG FANATIC WITH GUZZLERS

$11,000 for a worn out car is a terrible price. Even with good maintenance a 190,000 mile car isn't worth 1/2 of the new price. You are better off paying $3500-$4500 for a 2000 Civic with ~100,000 miles on it.
For $11,000 you would have no warranty on a car that would be expensive to repair($3000) when the battery died.

Price is ALWAYS the most important variable in used car buying. The Prius would have been a very good deal for $4000 maybe, but terrible for $11,000.

All cars break-all parts break- when is the question. Miles/years and maintenance records are the best hints on when.

Charlie

Old 06-19-2008, 12:52 PM
Enthusiast

I wouldn't have paid more than $8000 for that car, expecting it will need up to $3000 in maintenance and parts in the next year or two. If the big battery was in good shape, maybe it not a bad deal. But who knows? The suspension and CV joints could be worn out by 190K miles too. Taxi?

Well, now I know much much to sell my car for in 2 years, when I have 190K miles on my 2004 Prius.

Old 06-21-2008, 05:29 PM
04 prius 350,000km

i paid 14000 cad almost 2 years ago for my salvage prius (i know the person that fixed it so i got access to parts) and it just turned 192,000 km recently... so yes that's quite a price! but if its no accidents and your willing to do some maintainence maybe... since with all the demand for the prius.... i bought mine at a good time

but the above poster is right its better to buy a 2-3 grand car and LEARN TO HYPERMILE SON IF YOU WANT TO SAVE SOME CASH.

but if your lazy like me better fork up a loan and work for it, lazy as in when driving not working off the loan...

Quick Reply: High Mileage Prius

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands