Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Prius (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-prius-10/)
-   -   Honda Civic Hybrid owner looking to join your club (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-prius-10/honda-civic-hybrid-owner-looking-join-your-club-17278/)

bigbearballs 03-02-2008 07:23 PM

Honda Civic Hybrid owner looking to join your club

I'm looking at getting an 04 Prius for my wife. Can any 04 owners give me some advice into getting this car? I read the thread about the display issues in the 04, but that's it. Do you think this car will go 200,000 miles fairly maintenance free? My HCH is about to hit 100,000 miles and it's been a gem!

Tideland Prius 03-02-2008 08:26 PM

Re: Honda Civic Hybrid owner looking to join your club

I have a 2005 but with "only" 76,000kms.

A couple of things:

- Check that the recalls are done (fuel tank, ECU and steering wheel recall).

That's about it. Check to make sure the brakes work well. You know with these hybrids, they don't get used very often so make sure that it still clamps without any jerkiness and such.

Check for wear on the driver's door armrest and centre console armrest

Check to see if the foglights are cracked (heat issues but depends whether the previous owner used it often or not). They're heat-resistant glass (as opposed to plastic for the headlights) but apparently not heat-resistant enough.

Seeing that you're from Texas, there's intense heat in the summer, no? Check the rear brakelight area (the LED bit) and see if the black plastic is still intact. There have been a few reports (and it's very rare) of the black plastic melting (probably a reason why they switched to chrome for the 2006+ models).

Ok yeah I think that's it now haha.

bwilson4web 03-02-2008 08:31 PM

Hi,

With an HCH, you' re already in the club. I would suggest looking at a 2005, if you can, versus a 2004. As a general rule, the first model year of any vehicle should be avoided. You'll probably be OK but I'd look for a 2005 before a 2004.

GOOD LUCK!
Bob Wilson

bigbearballs 03-03-2008 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Tideland Prius (Post 163546)
I have a 2005 but with "only" 76,000kms.

A couple of things:

- Check that the recalls are done (fuel tank, ECU and steering wheel recall).

That's about it. Check to make sure the brakes work well. You know with these hybrids, they don't get used very often so make sure that it still clamps without any jerkiness and such.

Check for wear on the driver's door armrest and centre console armrest

Check to see if the foglights are cracked (heat issues but depends whether the previous owner used it often or not). They're heat-resistant glass (as opposed to plastic for the headlights) but apparently not heat-resistant enough.

Seeing that you're from Texas, there's intense heat in the summer, no? Check the rear brakelight area (the LED bit) and see if the black plastic is still intact. There have been a few reports (and it's very rare) of the black plastic melting (probably a reason why they switched to chrome for the 2006+ models).

Ok yeah I think that's it now haha.

Thanks for all the great insight, I will look into that. Besides ebay and craigslist, what are good places to find a cheaper used Prius?

Tideland Prius 03-03-2008 05:00 PM

local buy&sell?

bigbearballs 03-03-2008 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Tideland Prius (Post 163680)
local buy&sell?

Local auctions?

Tideland Prius 03-04-2008 10:51 PM

if you're into auctions, sure.

bigbearballs 03-05-2008 07:52 AM

Best offer so far 05 prius, 60k, $17,100.

Thoughts?

Tideland Prius 03-05-2008 04:22 PM

I wouldn't know since I'm not in the US so I don't know the US used prices and what's reasonable.

if you want the others to respond, maybe try posting in another thread and give more details (what package is it for example).

bwilson4web 03-05-2008 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by bigbearballs (Post 163812)
Best offer so far 05 prius, 60k, $17,100.

Thoughts?

Not bad. The rule of thumb is: Good, Fast, Cheap, pick two of these. Considering inflation, this sounds like a good deal. What does Kelly list it at?

In September 2005, I lost my 91 Camry in an accident and needed a replacement. I found a 2003 Prius on Ebay with 49,700 miles and bought it for $17,300, $1,000 under the current Kelly price. I have never looked back with any regret.

I'm getting 52.3 MPG after 50,000 miles and it has also become my 'hobby' and quite entertaining.

Your model has some excellent high speed and efficiency enhancements. It has a lot more space and over all, a very practical vehicle. I've had to 'do things' to mine to get similar but still inferior capabilities.

GOOD LUCK!
Bob Wilson