how far can I drive when I drive only on the electical engine of a second gen model?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 08:17 PM
learning about the prius
Default how far can I drive when I drive only on the elecrtical engine of a second gen model?

Hi there,

I'm looking at buying my first Prius (I'm looking at used 2004-2006 models).

I have some questions:

1. Does anybody know how far I should be able to get when I drive only on the electrical engine (so really-really slow)?

2. Maybe a bit more practical: How far should I be able to get on the electrical engine seeing the battery's power go from full to half?

3. Is this a good test of battery status?

4. Any other suggestions to test battery status as a non-mechanic?

Thanks!
-Mike

Last edited by Mike_V; 01-21-2010 at 06:56 AM.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:17 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: how far can I drive when I drive only on the elecrtical engine of a second gen mo

1. Does anybody know how far I should be able to get when I drive only on the electrical engine (so really-really slow)?

Couple of miles off a fully charged battery assuming you're not stopping. When a lot of slowing down is involved you get some more distance out of the battery since it's charging then you can use that charge to go a little further

2. Maybe a bit more practical: How far should I be able to get on the electrical engine seeing the battery's power go from full to half?

I ran into this problem when I ran out of gas (hard lesson learned about the tank capacity becoming 10% less while in very cold weather). I think I only had about half charge or so, only was able to go about a mile but that involved some hills and the cold probably was effecting the battery as well.

3. Is this a good test of battery status?

No, it's difficult to make this type of test without a system that actually reads the battery consumption rate have any real meaning between a good and not-so-good battery.

4. Any other suggestions to test battery status as a non-mechanic?

They have systems like CANview and such but they are expensive and takes time. I can't think of anything specific besides putting it under a load while taking out voltage and amp readings.