How far on gas light?

Old 05-28-2007, 05:51 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: How far on gas light?

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
Actually it is made in Miami Oklahoma.

Bob Wilson
Sorry. An unfortunate assumption.

Self-sealing, and guaranteed not to burst, break or spill when your car is struck from behind.

Is that can not in the crumple zone?

Old 05-28-2007, 06:07 PM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by centrider
Sorry. An unfortunate assumption.

Self-sealing, and guaranteed not to burst, break or spill when your car is struck from behind.

Is that can not in the crumple zone?
I bought it at WalMart but Autozone carries the same part. It is a pretty robust, thermo-plastic can and seems pretty tough. It certainly is a better product than the old metal cans and in the heat, it bulges out rather than vent gas fumes. But I still park in the shade, like I've always done.

I would be interested in a small gas can with a sealing bladder. I have no problem with getting better technology. Have you seen one?

Bob Wilson

Old 05-28-2007, 07:28 PM

I bought it at WalMart but Autozone carries the same part. It is a pretty robust, thermo-plastic can and seems pretty tough. It certainly is a better product than the old metal cans and in the heat, it bulges out rather than vent gas fumes. But I still park in the shade, like I've always done.

I would be interested in a small gas can with a sealing bladder. I have no problem with getting better technology. Have you seen one?

Bob Wilson
Pardon the irony, but you might try Air Force surplus - or maybe just surplus.

So, now you have probably the only Prius with a, is it 12 g gas, uh, storage?

Don't know if you'd get away with it in Calif. A rear end collision might just take out you and the luckless person who hit you.

Good luck!

Old 05-29-2007, 09:02 AM
Enthusiast

Welcome to the club!

With my 2003, it looks to be 70 miles so 50 is a conservative number. My last, full tank came in at 615 miles so we're in the same ballpark.

BTW, have you looked over the Prius FAQ? It might offer some hints.

GOOD LUCK!

Bob Wilson
The Prius FAQ is a great resource. I am doing several of the items in it including pulse and glide, tire pressure, and some others.

The latest is that I just drained out some oil to get the oil level to 3/4 full, and then I added some friction reducer called SFR that I've had good luck with in the past.

My first 50 miles today would seem to indicate possibly a 1 to 2 mpg boost, but it's really too soon to tell.

I'm hoping to break 60 mpg on a consistent basis in the next few months, but it might be difficult as I drive 90 miles a day, and am probably unwilling to do most of that at, say, 55 mph, rather than 68 mph which is my usual. But I'm going to keep chipping away at it.

Randall

Old 05-29-2007, 11:53 AM
Engineering first
Wink Re: How far on gas light?

Originally Posted by Piccolo
The Prius FAQ is a great resource. I am doing several of the items in it including pulse and glide, tire pressure, and some others.

The latest is that I just drained out some oil to get the oil level to 3/4 full, and then I added some friction reducer called SFR that I've had good luck with in the past.

My first 50 miles today would seem to indicate possibly a 1 to 2 mpg boost, but it's really too soon to tell.

I'm hoping to break 60 mpg on a consistent basis in the next few months, but it might be difficult as I drive 90 miles a day, and am probably unwilling to do most of that at, say, 55 mph, rather than 68 mph which is my usual. But I'm going to keep chipping away at it.
Sounds like you've got a good handle on the techniques. However, you might try just 65 mph or a tad under. It looks like between 65-70, the MPG starts to take a hit and anything over 70 is pretty brutal on the NHW11 models. However, I may have some relief in the not too distant future.

Happy driving!

Bob Wilson

Old 05-29-2007, 03:13 PM

Sounds like you've got a good handle on the techniques. However, you might try just 65 mph or a tad under. It looks like between 65-70, the MPG starts to take a hit and anything over 70 is pretty brutal on the NHW11 models. However, I may have some relief in the not too distant future.

Happy driving!

Bob Wilson
s
Bob's right. I drive frwys and hywys regularly at 64 mph. My best was a calculated 59.1 mpg.

Interesting here. When I shut it down that night, I was down to the last dot on the gas guage. The next morning it was back up to 3. Hmm. I went ahead and filled up. It took 9.33 g.

Old 05-31-2007, 02:14 PM
Enthusiast

hmmm...and why would you wait so long to fill up? what is the advantge to be gained there? i try to fill up when ever i am around half full...............did run out once and drove almost to exit on battery......maybe not related but have not been able to get over 40-44 mpg tank since, no matter how careful driving.....

Old 05-31-2007, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Bullet
hmmm...and why would you wait so long to fill up? what is the advantge to be gained there? i try to fill up when ever i am around half full...............did run out once and drove almost to exit on battery......maybe not related but have not been able to get over 40-44 mpg tank since, no matter how careful driving.....
In, "olden" days driving in Chicago, the caution (especially in the winter) was to refill at 1/2 a tank.

Depending, when I'm down to 1-2 dots showing, I'm looking for a fillup.

That's about 9 g.

Old 05-31-2007, 02:48 PM
Enthusiast

In, "olden" days driving in Chicago, the caution (especially in the winter) was to refill at 1/2 a tank.

was that in part to help prevent condensation in tank? no longer apply?

Old 05-31-2007, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Bullet

was that in part to help prevent condensation in tank? no longer apply?
Yeps. Besides, you never knew when conditions might change towards the nasty.

In SoCal, we don'tneed such precautions. 1-2 dot is close enough for me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How far on gas light?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands