How far on gas light?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 06:11 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: How far on gas light?

Originally Posted by BeechSportBill
Hi all -

Last three fillups: I filled up within yards of the 'flashing last pip' coming on.

I put in -
10.829 (actually - about 5 miles past 'first blink')

Specs say 11.9 gals total - so I had about 1 gallon left each time.

I'd say that last 'pip' is telling you you have about 30-40 miles left to empty.

Bill in Milton-Freewater
Thanks. I think this is what some of us were looking for.

I just filled up my 2007 Prius for the first time today. I've had the car just under a month and I got a tank MPG of 56.3. The last two weeks or so I was pushing about 59-60mpg regularly. I'm looking forward to some higher numbers on future tanks.

Back to the topic at hand, I filled up about 8.82 gallons with about one bar left on the display. I did not see the flashing indicator saying I was low on fuel, but I didn't want to chance it on the first tank. My calculations suggested that I had about another 190 miles to travel in an ideal world with no flexible fuel bladder and changing driving conditions etc. However, not knowing how the fuel bladder would come in to play I didn't want to risk it. From the looks of things, I am guessing I could've gone another 100+ miles easly.

Last edited by tekn0wledg; 08-06-2007 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Update
Old 08-07-2007, 05:38 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: How far on gas light?

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
I bought it at WalMart but Autozone carries the same part. It is a pretty robust, thermo-plastic can and seems pretty tough. It certainly is a better product than the old metal cans and in the heat, it bulges out rather than vent gas fumes. But I still park in the shade, like I've always done.

I would be interested in a small gas can with a sealing bladder. I have no problem with getting better technology. Have you seen one?

Bob Wilson
Years ago when I worked at Pep Boys they sold a can to carry for an extra. It was very heavy metal, was wide and low. It was so solid you could probably drive a car over it. It had a threaded steel spout opening in it and the spout its self stored in a compartment under the can. I wonder if they still make those..If I were to carry a full can of gas I think I would feel safer with one of those..
John