How much current does the A/C compressor draw?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 11:27 AM
Enthusiast
Default How much current does the A/C compressor draw?

I am looking to do a retrofit a/c electric system in a older car I own and want all the weight to be put in the rear for better weight distribution.

I need to know at what voltage and how much current the Prius a/c compressor pulls to see if it is feesible/how much electrical capacity I would need.

Anyone know?

Thanks,

Robert

Old 05-20-2008, 12:01 PM
Engineering first
Default Re: How much current does the A/C compressor draw?

Hi,

I can and have run a 5,000 BTU window AC using about 800 W. from a 1 kW inverter.

Bob Wilson

Old 05-20-2008, 12:04 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
Hi,

I can and have run a 5,000 BTU window AC using about 800 W. from a 1 kW inverter.

Bob Wilson

I need to have the ruggedness of a purpose built automotive unit.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:00 PM
Engineering Professor

Originally Posted by robgreg75
I am looking to do a retrofit a/c electric system in a older car I own and want all the weight to be put in the rear for better weight distribution.

I need to know at what voltage and how much current the Prius a/c compressor pulls to see if it is feesible/how much electrical capacity I would need.

Anyone know?

Thanks,

Robert
Bob,

The Prius AC unit runs directly from the traction battery (~200 volts DC) and it is a variable speed compressor so current draw varies with the need for BTU capacity. You can approximate the needed power by assuming an efficiency ( ~12 EER) and plugging in the needed BTU rate.

JeffD

Old 05-20-2008, 07:19 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I did not kow that EER Jeff, thanks. From other Prius posts I recall that the maximum power is about 1 KW. Because it is a variable-speed unit independent of engine pulley speed, it will often draw substantially less.

DAS

Old 05-21-2008, 04:22 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Following presentation is a good one to learn the A/C system.
http://www.epa.gov/cppd/Presentation...20inverter.pdf

Ken@Japan

Old 05-21-2008, 07:33 AM
Active Enthusiast

If you're thinking of installing a Prius A/C system in another car, good luck! You'll need most of the Prius electronics, including the inverter. You'll also need the traction battery and a way to charge it while driving. The A/C pump runs on the boosted battery voltage, more than twice the nominal traction battery voltage.

This would not be a trivial install!

Old 05-22-2008, 10:02 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
Hi,

Bob Wilson
It typically takes 3-5 times the running current to REstart (subsequent startup after running for an initial period) an A/C compressor. Either your inverter has a quite substantial over-current surge capability or the CB in your window A/C is cycling on and off 4 or 5 times for each compressor restart. Even worse with a MSW inverter.

Actually with a MSW inverter it would be surprising that it works at all.

My guess would be the latter, CB cycling.

Last edited by wwest; 05-22-2008 at 10:04 AM.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:12 AM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

robgreg75 — I don't know about the Prius, but the TCH's A/C compressor is stated to draw up to 6.1 kW of electrical power from the NiMH battery, via its own dedicated 3-phase, variable-speed inverter. I'd expect the Prius's A/C to be similar.

Stan

Old 05-23-2008, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by SPL
robgreg75 — I don't know about the Prius, but the TCH's A/C compressor is stated to draw up to 6.1 kW of electrical power from the NiMH battery, via its own dedicated 3-phase, variable-speed inverter. I'd expect the Prius's A/C to be similar.

Stan
I just found something that claimed 3.4kW for the Prius (if I read it correctly).

http://www.epa.gov/cppd/Presentation...20inverter.pdf

Quick Reply: How much current does the A/C compressor draw?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands