Hybrid Battery Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 12:33 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Hybrid Battery Warranty

Since Honda has increased the Hybrid Battery warranty from 8yrs/80k to 10yrs/150K, why doesn't Toyota do the same?

Old 11-01-2006, 04:59 AM
Engineering Professor
Default Re: Hybrid Battery Warranty

Toyota's Traction battery warantee is 10 years/150K miles in those states following California rules. It is less in the other states.

JeffD

Old 11-01-2006, 05:12 AM
Engineering first
Wink Re: Hybrid Battery Warranty

Originally Posted by Resist
Since Honda has increased the Hybrid Battery warranty from 8yrs/80k to 10yrs/150K, why doesn't Toyota do the same?
The simple answer is they don't need to.

The reputation and performance of the Toyota Prius is such that a longer warranty is not needed to sell another car off of the lot. Regardless, Toyota has two levels of battery warranty:

8yr/100k miles - standard
10yr/150k miles - in selected states including CA

We also have performance reports including 160,000 miles without a battery replacement. But if Toyota offers a retro-active warranty increase, I would be gracious. Is Honda's change retro-active?

Bob Wilson

Old 11-01-2006, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
10yr/150k miles - in selected states including CA
Then why did my California dealership that sold me my new 2007 tell me different. They even showed me the lower coverage in writing because I questioned it.

Old 11-01-2006, 02:32 PM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by Resist
Then why did my California dealership that sold me my new 2007 tell me different. They even showed me the lower coverage in writing because I questioned it.
That is strange:

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/warranty/warranty.html

"Hybrid-Related Component Coverage: Prius' hybrid-related components, including the HV battery, battery control module, hybrid control module and inverter with converter, are covered for 8 years/100,000 miles. The HV battery may have longer coverage under emissions warranty. Refer to applicable Owner's Warranty Information booklet for details."

http://www.toyota.com/html/hybridsyn...l/battery.html

"Q: How long is the warranty?

GS: The high-voltage batteries are warranted for eight years or 100,000 miles, and under California regulations the battery warranty extends to 10 years or 150,000 miles."

http://www.driveclean.ca.gov/en/gv/vsearch/used.asp

"WARRANTIES ON PZEV AND AT PZEV VEHICLES:

In order for a vehicle to receive an emissions rating of PZEV or AT PZEV, the manufacturer must guarantee a full warranty on all emissions related parts of the vehicle for 15 years or 150,000 miles (Exception: the traction battery in some hybrid vehicles may be covered for only 10 years). This warranty is transferrable with the vehicle, and ensures that the car will run clean for most of it's life. . . ."

If Toyota says they do and the California Air Resources Board says they must, I think the best thing is to share the facts and data with anyone who says otherwise. If they still give you the same answer:

I would go back and politely ask them for the name of the owner or manager for your letter to the California Air Resources Board with a description of their current battery warranty information. Let them know you will send the owner or manager a copy of the letter asking the California Air Resources Board about the regulation on the hybrid battery "10 year or 150,000 mile emission coverage."

Now understand I live in Alabama and we don't even have vehicle inspections beyond the initial registration to verify VIN numbers.

Bob Wilson

Old 11-01-2006, 02:49 PM

I'll educate my dealership, thanks.