Hypermile Hints

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 07:02 AM
Enthusiast
Default Hypermile Hints

I'd like to start a thread inviting those who are either into hypermiles or who are learning about it to share their knowledge! Thanks!

Old 02-02-2008, 10:02 AM
Engineering first
Default Re: Hypermile Hints

No problem but wouldn't it be easier to just visit the folks who claim "hypermiler" at:

http://www.CleanMPG.com/

Perhaps you might visit that site and come back with a bullet list of specific techniques not otherwise discussed here?

First let's start with the definition:
Hypermiler! The driver of this car has achieved "hypermiler" status. To qualify, a car must have higher fuel economy than EPA estimates over more than 3,000 miles. The EPA city/highway figures are weighted for each car. If no percentages are specified, 55/45% is default.
So we have two USA models with EPA milage:
  • 2001-03 (NHW11) - 42/41 (City/Highway) 41 combined
  • 2004-current (NHW20) - 48/45 (City/Highway) 46 combined
Source: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/

There were earlier mileage numbers that were more challenging and the current GreenHybrid.com database does not yet reflect the new mileage numbers.

Personally, I practice the following efficient driving techniques:
  • Slow speed for warmup - use a block heater and keep the speed around 25 mph for the first 1.5-2 miles
  • route planning - start with 1.5-2 miles warm-up; middle at speeds < 42 mph or between 46-65 mph; last 1-2 miles at 30-35 mph for maximum EV mode.
  • avoid transiting 42 mph - try to be either 3-4 mph under or 3-4 mph faster because it is the boundary between two control laws.
  • highway speeds - try to stay around 65 mph, use trucks as pace vehicles, DONT TAILGATE
  • hill climbing - 55 mph is an excellent hill climb speed if there is a safe lane to use
  • back-in parking - either back in to a spot or park so you can drive straight out. Back-in parking is every efficient since it uses the battery.
  • fuel - in Huntsville, Shell, Exxon and Chevron 87 test with higher energy values than other brands and higher octane fuel.
  • alignment - the rear wheel alignment is difficult but reduced toe and and camber helps
  • tires - use low rolling resistance tires and run them as close to the maximum sidewall pressure as you can.
  • engine oil - make sure it is never overfilled, 3/4 is best using 3.5 quarts; use a quality synthetic; some use a lighter grade in the winter and 5W-30 in the summer
  • predictive braking - look ahead and when it looks like you'll have to stop, slow down early using light braking.
  • block radiator in winter - try to minimize the loss of heat at temperatures under 60F.

Bob Wilson

Old 02-02-2008, 12:46 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Hypermile Hints

Visited the site, thanks for the info! I'm reticent in this day and age to cut and paste info from one site onto another as I don't know the Copyright laws regarding intellectual property. I'm a new Prius owner and am trying to obtain as much info as I can. Thanks again for the link!