I finally did it. Black package #2

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 09:29 PM
My Wife's car but my toy!
Talking I finally did it. Black package #2

I finally made up my mind after driving the Prius in July, the HCH in Sept and Oct and the FEH in Dec. I picked the Prius because it was the hybrid. Not just in the powerplant sense, but the interior was the best of both worlds. I loved the HCH body and interior, but it was not roomy enough for when we carry the kids stuff. Or a really big shopping trip. The FEH was nice and big, but the FE just was not enough to make me want to switch from the minivan.

A local dealer called to tell me that a customer backed out on a black package #2 so I ran down to get it today. After getting an extremely low offer (2,500) for the van I left and went over to Carmax for their "we'll buy yours even if you don't buy ours" offer. They offered me 1,700 more than Toyota and put it in writing. I went back to the dealer and told the sales manager that I was pretty insulted at their attempt to rip me coming and going on this prius deal. I was paying them sticker plus and they were trying to screw me on the trade. I said it pretty loud in the show room as I waved the Carmax offer. Not really as scene, but I wanted him to know that it was possible. He knew I wanted the Prius and I think they were seeing how far they could push the deal in their favor.

He agreed to meet the Carmax price plus 50 so that I would not have to leave again to take my van to Carmax to get my money. I accepted his change of attitude happily. So I ended up paying $24328 before the trade money and TT&L. NO dealer add ons. Accept maybe the mudgaurds, but I don't think I paid for them if they were not standard.

This car is for my wife so don't look for any hypermilage here. She was getting 12-15 mpg out of the minivan. I'll be thrilled with anything near 50. She is an all city driver.

This was the hardest vehicle purchase decision I have made. I have never bought new. I hate taking the hit on that depriciation. But the used 05 that Carmax offered had 16k mi and was still 25,000. New it is. Now if I can just keep the kids from scratching it with the bike handlbars.

This site and your posts made a huge difference in my comfort level with this purchase. Thanks and be watching for my newby questions.

Old 12-16-2005, 09:39 PM
My Wife's car but my toy!
Default Re: I finally did it. Black package #2

And yes I am reading the manual. On page 163 right now. It's gonna take a couple nights. My wife just looks over and shakers her head at me. She just doesn't understand . That's why I'm so glad to have you guys.

It was fun to show the sales guys at all 3 dealers stuff that they didn't even know about the vehicles they sell. The FEH sales guy had never seen anyone drive around for any distance in EV. And I'm just a novice.

Old 12-16-2005, 09:58 PM
Enthusiast

IMO black is the best color

but good luck keeping it clean! i am such a nitpicker about the car, i spend so much time on mine.

way to go on getting the dealer to cut you a good deal on your trade. that's the way to do it. hope you enjoy the car. and don't worry about the depreciation, according to blue book our 05 with 8500 miles is worth more now than it was new!

Old 12-16-2005, 10:46 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Welcome aboard MG48 and congratulations! Thanks for being the new newbie too. I can start feeling like a veteran now that I've been around 10 weeks.

Old 12-17-2005, 01:01 AM
Active Enthusiast

Welcome and congrats. I was pretty excited when i got mine too. The first few tanks were great then the cold weather hit and down it went. But as you say its better than the 15 you were getting. And better than the 17 i was getting with my pacifica. Mines super white package 4 (sorry i know the black is nice but the white does stay cleaner looking longer) welcome aboard anyway. Dean