An inspiration to us all. 85.9mpg!

Old 07-24-2007, 06:23 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: An inspiration to us all. 85.9mpg!

Originally Posted by Alansanmateo
I can get almost 100 mpg going from my house to the train station.

But I just don't understand why I get 20 mpg going from the train station to my house

it really pisses me off.
As you can imagine, we need a certain amount of energy to lift up Prius 450 feet.
There is 0.00854gallons/100feet (0.106liter/100m) rule.
Prius requires 0.00854X4.5=0.0384 gallons of gas to lift up Prius 450 feet.
So, my guess is your one way travel, your house to the train station, is about 1.9 miles.

Ken@Japan

Old 07-24-2007, 07:28 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Prius2Camry
Is it really that impressive? I mean I would love to hear how it was actually achieved. Are we talking staying at or above speed limits? Most likely a big NO.

OK, so this drive was 18.3 miles from my veterinarian's office back home. I was traveling at speeds which were varied, depending on the speed limit. A fair amount was at 55 mph, some at 45, through a small town with a posted limit of 35 mph. I missed two stop lights and had to wait a little while for the green. No the ignition was not turned off while I waited. So yes, it was at/nearly at the speed limit for this section of Historic Route 66.
Hi Prius2Camry,

Are you VaBeachPrius as well? If not, I was refering to the tank listed in the link at the start of the thread.

Thanks for the info though.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:29 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Alansanmateo
I've got to think that your drive to your vet had a fairly significant elevation loss (was downhill).

People often don't recognize that a particular drive is "downhill," which is why you should always base your mpg on "round trip" and not one way. Many roads are only mildly sloped, so you might not notice, especially when driving.

I am pretty much screwed with respect to my mpg, as I live at 450 feet elevation, and most of the places I go are at sea level (though only a few miles away). The train line, the kids' schools, downtown, work....all at sea level. So I get at least a 450-foot elevation "delta" in a day.

I think he was being sarcastic.

Old 07-28-2007, 12:47 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks, Tideland Prius, but in all seriousness; no, 85.9 mpg is not that impressive. All it proves is I have carefully picked roads with 25-35 mph speed limits, I have the patience and time to drive around town at an average moving speed of 25 mph, that I can anticipate what is happening ahead and behind me, that I don't take the freeway, and I understand the basic concepts of Pulse and Glide. If I had even more time on my hands, I would have a tank of 95 mpg.

FYI. I am at 1014 miles at 85.3 mpg this tank and I will fill tomorrow.

I really don't care whether people are impressed or not. I have proven that I can do it and I simply like that I can fill my car 4 times in six months and still drive 4200 miles.

I am not an environmentalist, but I am cheap. If one person takes inspiration to drive slower, than what the heck. I have found that by not taking the freeway, I am a stress free driver and I am traveling slow enough to enjoy what is happening around me when I travel. Life moves by too quickly to zip from place to place. My commute is at most 10-15 minutes longer by taking traffic free seconday roads than congested freeway routes.

Old 07-28-2007, 09:11 PM

indeed. I've avoided main streets if possible and take secondary streets.

Old 07-28-2007, 10:14 PM
Enthusiast

DId you get that computer chip that is suppose to give you 100 mpg from china? That is the only way anyone can get 100 MPG. Please comment on that. Thanks, Ron

Old 07-28-2007, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Poperon
DId you get that computer chip that is suppose to give you 100 mpg from china? That is the only way anyone can get 100 MPG. Please comment on that. Thanks, Ron
Would you please let us know where you got the 100 MPG chip information?

Ken@Japan

Old 07-29-2007, 06:34 AM
Active Enthusiast

Poperon,

I have never heard of that chip. It is very possible to get 100+ mpg in a stock prius. Ken1784 might be able to shed some light on the number of people that have done that in the US.

Visit www.cleanmpg.com and ask the question, "Is it possible to go 100+ mpg with a stock prius?" and see what happens.

Old 07-29-2007, 06:40 AM
Enthusiast

That's one thing I miss about Va Beach (born and raised there until I moved here to TN in 6/06)- you literally never have to get on the highway if you don't want to. There are tons of alternative routes.

Here I have to use the highway to get out of my town and into the city I work at.

Last edited by DirtyTreeHugger; 07-29-2007 at 06:45 AM.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:51 AM
Engineering first
Wink Re: An inspiration to us all. 85.9mpg!

Originally Posted by VaBeachPrius
. . .
I am not an environmentalist, but I am cheap. If one person takes inspiration to drive slower, than what the heck. I have found that by not taking the freeway, I am a stress free driver and I am traveling slow enough to enjoy what is happening around me when I travel. Life moves by too quickly to zip from place to place. My commute is at most 10-15 minutes longer by taking traffic free seconday roads than congested freeway routes.
AMEN!!! I have always driven at or under the speed limit not because I have to but because it lets me enjoy the drive. Radar traps and police cars are just part of scenery. Non-stressed driving is a lot more fun than being anxious.

Bob Wilson

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: An inspiration to us all. 85.9mpg!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands