iPod & Prius

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 01:38 PM
Site Founder

I'm considering getting one of the new iPods, but I am not yet sure what to do about connectivity to the Prius. There is the FM transmitter, of course, but from everything I hear this only provides lukewarm results. Is there any more direct (better) way to hook an iPod up to the Prius?

Old 08-19-2004, 11:39 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

did you see coastal tech's new mod that has audio in and video in?

btw.. i would recommend not getting the mini ipods... when watching screen savers kevin was using it and then it malfunctioned. it was odd... and then there's also that fuzzy issue whenever you touch the headphone outlet. dunno if they fixed that yet

Old 08-20-2004, 05:37 AM
Site Founder

No, I haven't. I'll take a look.

On second thought, however, I don't know if I'll get one after all. I took a trip to the mall and went to our Apple store... took a look at them and kind of thought, "Do I really need this?"

Old 08-20-2004, 08:40 AM
Enthusiast

If you get a new alpine head unit you can hook it up to your iPod

http://www.alpine-usa.com/products/leading...ch_kca-420i.htm

Or you can get an adaptor from these guys:

http://www.pac-audio.com/

I dont know exactly how the adaptor works but it will be cool when alpine coems out with their iPod interface. Basically both claim that you will be able to control the iPod from the head unit. The Alpine version you can even browse songs and see their names.

Old 08-20-2004, 11:30 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally posted by Jason@Aug 20th 2004 @ 7:37 AM
I took a trip to the mall and went to our Apple store... took a look at them and kind of thought, "Do I really need this?"
Jason my wife and son each have one and love them. It's nice going on a trip and never having to listen to a DJ or ads!

Old 08-20-2004, 11:35 AM
Site Founder

Yes, that's the nice part. The problem is, I've never really bought many CDs or downloaded many MP3's. I usually listen to whatever's on the radio. If I were to buy an iPod, I'd have to start from scratch, actually having to pay attention to the names and bands I like so I can download their songs. Anyway, I've gotten along well enough without one. It would be nearing $400 with accessories!

Old 09-23-2004, 12:07 AM
Enthusiast

I love my iPod, but unfortuantely I have a hard time playing it on my Prius...I live in L.A. and the FM transmitters do not work as great as one might want them to work...The best way of playing the iPod in ANY car is basically purchasing from the afforementioned sites that sell units that require installation...My only question is, how does it affect the steering wheel controls (on the II prius)?

Old 10-14-2004, 07:33 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

My wife and I hook up the iPods with cassette adaptors. Works well.

Old 10-22-2004, 09:22 AM
Enthusiast

I am getting a 2005 Tideland Pearl #6 which comes with the in-dash 6-CD changer. Does anyone know if you can still use iPod2Car with that? Is there still the necessary port in the back of the audio system?

Old 10-22-2004, 10:27 AM
Prius geek

Yes, I believe the 2005 #6 is the JBL stereo top-o-the-line. Has a cassette and changer in the one unit? There should be an empty port at the back for the iPod2car adaptor. This is from either Priuschat.com or Priusonline.com, can't remember which. Do a search there. If by changer you mean an add-on to the basic radio, then no, I don't believe the port will be available. It will be used by the add-on changer (which installs in the pocket below the radio). Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: iPod & Prius

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands