Its time for me to buy tires for my prius any recomandations?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 10:45 PM
My Prius Rocks!
Default Its time for me to buy tires for my prius any recomandations?

ok So i blew out 2 tires today on my prius and Im buying new tires any suggestions? should I get different rims too?

Old 02-18-2009, 04:44 AM
Pragmatist
Default Re: Its time for me to buy tires for my prius any recomandations?

Consumer Reports likes the Michelin X Radial, and the Michelin Harmony. The X is rated higher than the Harmony. Both are "solid red *****" (that's good) for "low rolling resistance." The X also better scores for handling and noise. Both are "all season" tires, and both are down-graded a little (half-black *****) for "ice braking."

Last edited by SteveHansen; 02-18-2009 at 04:47 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 02-18-2009, 06:54 PM
Active Enthusiast

I agree, Michelin tires is the way to go, as I have the OEM Michelin tires on my 2007 TCH (came with them when I bought it new) with close to 35k miles now and they are amazing in dry/wet/snow weather conditions and very quiet... also when the time comes Michelin will be the tire to replace on my other vehicle (06 Sienna which now it has OEM Bridgestone tires.)

Unless there is significant rim damage, I would avoid replacing the rims, save your money for alignment...

Last edited by agnosto; 02-18-2009 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:51 PM
Active Enthusiast

I replaced my OEM tires on my 2004 Prius with Michelin HydroEdge. Works great for me. Some troubles going uphill on ice, but much better with snow than the Integreties that came with it. They also have a much better/longer warranty than the originals. 35K miles... come on, really?

Old 03-14-2009, 03:34 PM
BeechSportBill

My 2007 Touring hit 44,318 - so, FINALLY 1,000 gallons used!

It's almost Spring here, so time to get the Toyo Observe G-02plus (185/65-15" on Motegi Racing 15x6.5" rims) super-siped snow tires off. They still look new, with two seasons (7,141 last year, and 4,694 this year - 11,840 total.)

The stock tires (195/55-16) with about 33,000 miles had less than 1/16" left to the wear bars, so I decided to go ahead and get new, rather than mount and un-mount.

Just put on new tires - Zexius (by Ohtsu) in even lower profile 205/50 R16. I couldn't find any tires for my 2007 Touring in the stock P195/55-16s. I'll try the 'recalibrate tires' option in my nav.

Dealer only put in 30psi, so 1st thing I did was 'add air' to 40psi.

I'll get back and tell all you'all how they do.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:13 AM
Enthusiast

Hi all,

I just got a set of Michelien X tires for my 2006 Prius. These tires come highly reccomended, as the posts here have said. But you have to go to a "club" store to get them. Normal tire stores can not get the X. So I got mine at Costco in San Diego. 4 tires plus installation, etc, ran $580.

As to what they drive like, well, I have lost 1 mpg, but in return, the X are somwewhat less noisy, somewhat smoother, and somewhat easier to drive on than the factory Goodyear Integrity tires.

So far, I have only about 200 miles on them, and I'll report in the future as to my long term opinion.

Paula

Old 04-23-2009, 03:16 AM
Active Enthusiast

i just replaced my 06 prius' oem tires with michelin hydroedges 185/65R15,
so far i have been driving them for about 1,000km and i get 5.2L/100km consistently. I would say i drive "normally" i dont push the car but also i dont baby it either; 80% of my driving is highway kilometres. I turn the climate control on but intermittently turn the A/C on and off depending on the situation, such as defog when it rains rain.
The tires feel very smooth and comfortable, i havnt tested for road noise yet because i always have the music up.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:35 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Jake, a lot depends on what's important to you.

If getting good mileage is foremost, the tires that came with your car are likely the best bet, especially considering you have to get them immediately. The downside is their treadlife and wet/snow traction is likely not that great (snow's probably not an issue). FWIW, the original equipment tires on our Honda Civic Hybrid were the Bridgestone Insignia SE200, and they've been pretty good for mileage.

If you are willing to give up a bit of mileage for better traction, the Michelin X (only available through big retailers like Costco, etc) or the Michelin Harmony are good picks. In our personal experience with the Harmony the treadlife warranty was overrated, but at least we were able to take advantage of it: the tread lasted half of the warranted mileage, and we got our next set half price.

Our most recent purchase, just for winter driving, was the Nokian WRG2: a 4 season tire half way between an all season and a snow tire, which didn't give up much mileage, considering it's more aggressive tread. The WRG2 can be used year round, but I'd suspect they wear a little faster than an all season or summer tire. Nokian makes summer tires as well, and some are advertised as LRR. Nokian claims to be a "green" tire manufacturer.

2 new tires just coming on the market are the Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max, and the Bridgestone Ecopia EP100. Both make a point of claiming low rolling resistance, which is relatively new and unusual. Of the two, the Goodyear is available in more sizes, calls itself all season and has treadlife warranty, while the Bridgestone description is summer only, and there is no tread life warranty.

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 04-23-2009 at 06:40 AM.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:04 PM
Old Boomer Techie

Originally Posted by Mendel Leisk
.....2 new tires just coming on the market are the Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max, and the Bridgestone Ecopia EP100. Both make a point of claiming low rolling resistance, which is relatively new and unusual. Of the two, the Goodyear is available in more sizes, calls itself all season and has treadlife warranty, while the Bridgestone description is summer only, and there is no tread life warranty.
I have had several exchanges with the Goodyear Customer Service folks, and they seem genuinely excited by the Fuel Max. They have promised to supply me with what engineering data they have on rolling resistance.

However, if your Prius is an NWH11, you are out of luck. they don't have 65R14s yet, although the website does say that more sizes are coming. The speed rating is "H".

Last edited by FastMover; 04-24-2009 at 04:08 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:16 AM
Enthusiast

I considered the Bridgestone Ecopia 100's and the Goodyear Fuel Max

After getting frustrated trying to find a dealer who had the Ecopias in stock, I decided to go with the Goodyears. You will not be disapointed because the Assurance tire is an upgrade to the OE Integrities in ride quality and less road noise. These tires are quiet and they handle much better in wet conditions. The Goodyear guys will fill them at 30psi, so you will need to bump them to 37 or even 40psi. no worry,, they are rated for much more. I think I will eventually do the same or better in mpg category than the old Integrities.y

Quick Reply: Its time for me to buy tires for my prius any recomandations?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands