Jiffy Lube

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 08:07 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Jiffy Lube

Anyone ever take their Prius to a Jiffy Lube or some other quick lube? My dealer is pretty far and hard to get to. Be nice to use a Jiffy Lube if I can.

Old 06-22-2006, 11:28 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Jiffy Lube

This is one of those "it depends" answers.

Some lube shop employees are courtious and concerned and want to do good work and as such they follow procedures and policy and make sure they do everything they are supposed and nothing they are not supposed to. However there are exceptions to everything.

Keep in mind that most lube shops have computer systems in place which link repeat customers to cars and cars to specs about the filter size to use, where the fill and drain ports are, fluid quantities, etc. If they are doing their job they will follow the computer's directions. If not...

I have used Oil Can Henry's in my area for quick lube service. They charge a more premium price than I like, but they have never done me badly and their staff seems more than competent.

The key is, have you used the Jiffy Lube that is in question before with other vehicles and were you satisfied with the service you received. If so, then go ahead and try them out.

Old 06-23-2006, 07:15 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by infael
Anyone ever take their Prius to a Jiffy Lube or some other quick lube? My dealer is pretty far and hard to get to. Be nice to use a Jiffy Lube if I can.
have you considered changing the oil yourself?
at least you'll know what goes in there.

It's a fairly simple process if you know what to do, and the car only holds about 3L so it wont cost a fortune.

just my 2 cents.

regards,
gj

Old 06-24-2006, 05:35 AM
Enthusiast

I wouldn't take the chance. At PriusOnline, there's a recent thread about a Jiffy Lube putting in the wrong weight oil and overfilling. This apparently lead to a Code P3190--poor engine performance (the car stalled a 1/2 mile from JL) due to overfilling and oil ending up in the throttle body (according to the dealer). The thread can be found there with a search using Jiffy Lube.

Old 06-24-2006, 06:06 AM
Active Enthusiast

I wouldnt take my hand me down 1992 mazda MPV (which i still have and used a storage shed) to any of those places.

Old 06-24-2006, 06:19 AM
Active Enthusiast

Maybe not, but there are good mechanics & bad everywhere, and Jiffy Lube can have good & bad people, too. My local Jiffy Lube always treated my Prelude right, and I have no problem giving them the benefit of the doubt when it comes to my new Prius.

It all comes down to choice.

Old 07-02-2006, 09:58 AM
Enthusiast

About a year ago, after using Jiffy Lube for every other oil change with my Jetta, I ended up with a stripped oil pan that was so bad, they couldn't rethread it. Ended up cosing me $400 and they lost my business forever and I recommend that people spend the extra $5 and go to the dealer.

I also had a Goodyear place do my oil change onetime and my drain plug fell out completly. Fortunately, they were located about 300 feet from where it fell out (at work).

Bill
(Picking up my Prius tomorrow)

Old 07-05-2006, 12:26 PM
Don't Taunt Pepito

I just picked up my '06 on Monday and I was wondering if, aside from chain service stations (Jiffy Lube, Goodyear, etc), anyone has any experience using a local mechanic?

We have a really good relationship with our local mechanic (conveniently located a block from home) and I'd like to keep giving him our business. Ours would be the first Prius he's serviced, though.

Mike

Old 07-05-2006, 12:59 PM
MPG FANATIC WITH GUZZLERS
Default Tip the tech. $3 before the job.

There are good and bad workers everywhere, but it is probably true that a cut rate place might be paying employees a lot less than the dealer.It isn't a question of competence usually-once they have done 10-20 they should have it down pretty well-don't force anything,don't crossthread or overnfnhthe drain screw, don't overfill, make sure the old oil filter gasket comes off with the oil filter.
When I use these places(Sam's for tires etc). I usually hand around to see who is actually doing the job,and then on the sly I give them $3 or so.You might comment that you "heard" that on "these hybrids have drain plugs that are easy to cross thread, and they kick the "check engine light on if they are filled up all the way to the top line".Make sure you are being sneaky about giving him the $$.
Luck,Charlie

Old 07-05-2006, 01:31 PM
Engineering first

Hi,
Originally Posted by proco
I just picked up my '06 on Monday and I was wondering if, aside from chain service stations (Jiffy Lube, Goodyear, etc), anyone has any experience using a local mechanic?

We have a really good relationship with our local mechanic (conveniently located a block from home) and I'd like to keep giving him our business. Ours would be the first Prius he's serviced, though.
He'll need the technical manuals and they aren't cheap. Let me suggest you talk with him and negotiate an equitable arrangement. Depending upon what level of maintenance you're expecting, he'll need:

- maintenance manuals and/or reference
- OBD-2 scanning tool

For things like tire rotations, brakes and oil changes, it is an ordinary car. Coolant changes are tricky because there are two systems and the inverter coolant takes bleeding. Also, it helps to have the manuals to make sure the transaxle oil changes are handled correctly and he may need a map of the various filters, air, AC and fuel.

Be positive and I think you'll have a good experience. If he is a smart mechanic, he'll see the future business. Patience and reduce fear . . .

Bob Wilson

Quick Reply: Jiffy Lube

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands