Just one more question before I buy

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 08:53 AM
Enthusiast
Default Just one more question before I buy

So I know I want either an 07 or 08. But do I want a Touring model or not? I am unclear on the difference between the two. I would hate to not get the Touring model and find out later I should have gotten it, or vice versa.

Opinions?

Old 02-11-2009, 03:16 PM
Engineering first
Default Re: Just one more question before I buy

Hi,

Some folks have reported that the Touring model has a little stiffer body that improves handling. In fact there is a 'stiffening plate', an after-market part, that folks have added to their Prius to make the body and handling more sporty. But I have no direct experience with either NHW20.

Personally, I would go with:
  • price range - figure out how much can afford to buy and that is your budget
  • cooler climate over hot - Prius from cooler climates will have had a nicer life than those from the hottest places that can heat stress them
  • accessories - stuff is nice
I would also budget "new tires" in the first year. Unless you are very, very, very lucky, I always expect used car tires to not last much more than a year. I can not explain why but that has been my experience. The tread just seems to 'melt away.'

Bob Wilson

Old 02-12-2009, 01:26 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Just one more question before I buy

Touring model has:
1. Larger rear spoiler.
2. Slightly stiffer shocks, same springs.
3. 16" wheels instead of 15". Both are aluminum wheels. The tires are also -slightly- better quality. Both sizes have the same overall diameter and are interchangable, though you shouldn't mix them.
4. Slightly poorer mileage, perhaps 5-10%, due to more traction on the road, mostly.
5. Different option packages.

The body is identical.

I have the non-touring. I put Nokian WR tires on it pretty much when it was new, so I suspect my traction is at least as good as the touring. These tires made the proverbial "night and day" difference. They are true snow/ice tires, but don't wear unusually rapidly in summer, so are real all season tires. They -did not- drop the mileage. The mileage may actually be slightly better than the 15" non-touring stock tires. Perhaps 2-4% better. This small a change is hard to attribute to any specific factor.

Last edited by David Beale; 02-13-2009 at 12:06 PM.