Looking to get a Prius

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 08:50 AM
Enthusiast
Default Looking to get a Prius

My husband and I are looking to get a Prius and was wondering if there are any years we should stay away from or any years that are great.

It seems like I can get an 07 with 16000 miles on it for around 18 thousand. Is that considered a good deal?

Old 02-10-2009, 01:07 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Looking to get a Prius

The first gen (2001-2003) batteries are starting to die, so if you want a trouble free car stay away from those.

The second gen (2004-2009) have more advanced batteries and systems so should last longer. The early ones in the second gen (2004 to early 2005) had a few issues which were addressed by recalls mostly. The later ones have no issues (so far).

The car you are asking about could be a good deal depending on the option package. If it's a base then no. If it has lots of options then yes. It's just barely broken in.

Options include bluetooth, SKS (smart key system), JL audio system, backup camera, 16" wheels (touring version), leather.
Compare the new price to the used car, keeping the option package the same. The 2009 is basically the same car as the 2007, so use the Toyota USA site (toyota.com) to price it out.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:06 PM
Engineering first
Default Re: Looking to get a Prius

Originally Posted by David Beale
The first gen (2001-2003) batteries are starting to die, so if you want a trouble free car stay away from those.
I would stay away from the 2001 and some of the 02 ones. The 03 ones so far appear to have most of the factory issues worked out and other than potential traction battery issues, pretty much OK. These are called the NHW11 model.

I see the NHW11 as OK for those who have the skills and patience and want to master Prius technology without risking a terribly expensive new car. You can find some good deals but assume something is going to break and will have to be repaired. Buy the maintenance manuals at the same time.

The second gen (2004-2009) have more advanced batteries and systems so should last longer. The early ones in the second gen (2004 to early 2005) had a few issues which were addressed by recalls mostly. The later ones have no issues (so far).
I agree. The known weakness are a bad solder joint sometimes found in the MFD but otherwise, not a bad ride. As for price, as long as gas stays below $2.00/gal., there are some great deals to be had. When it gets closer to $3.00/gal, you've missed the window.

The car you are asking about could be a good deal depending on the option package. If it's a base then no. If it has lots of options then yes. It's just barely broken in.

Options include bluetooth, SKS (smart key system), JL audio system, backup camera, 16" wheels (touring version), leather.
Compare the new price to the used car, keeping the option package the same. The 2009 is basically the same car as the 2007, so use the Toyota USA site (toyota.com) to price it out.
I would also recommend using the "completed" sales on "Ebay" motors. Also, don't be afraid of distances if buying from a dealer. IMHO, best buys are at:
  • right after 3/36000 warranty - this means the 'infantile' problems have been worked out
  • up until 80,000 miles warranty - this ensures the battery and hybrid parts have at least a year of coverage (conservative approach)
FYI, I'm planning to buy a 2010 even though I know there will some risks with a new model. Just the new technology being added is so impressive. They have literally addressed every shortcoming I've seen with the NHW11 and I already own an 03 Prius. I have the 03 mantenance manuals and some insights that come with over 3 years and 55,000 miles.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 02-10-2009 at 02:09 PM.