Miles from engine and battery

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 09:44 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Miles from engine and battery

I am racking up a lot of miles on my Prius (20,000 per year +). Has anyone heard the latest on how many miles to expect out of the engine and (main) battery?

I think I have heard the battery can go 100,000 and that it is around $3500 to replace. I would hope the engine would go longer.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:01 AM
Engineering first
Default Re: Miles from engine and battery

The highest mileage Prius went 350,000 miles before being lost in an accident.

The 1500 cc engine is running at about 75% maximum power compared to the gas-only versions in the Echo/Scions. This means the engine is 'loafing' plus the hybrid transaxle keeps the engine away from some of the worst wear conditions by picking up low-end torque and electric power under maximum acceleration.

The battery modules in the NHW20 are a better design than then NHW11 modules which went 160,000 miles before the fleet experiment was terminated and a report made. The NHW11 Prius that went 350,000 miles never had the battery replaced.

We are finding a weak but discernible pattern of NHW11 Prius in very not climates and in very hilly areas seeming to have more battery problems than others. Also, lack of use, having it do a lot of sitting for weeks/months at a time is not good for the battery. However, we do not have enough information to really put a number on the battery longevity. It really depends upon what sort of loads it is seeing:
  • high temperatures - bad
  • high charge currents - descending 1,000 ft. hills to max charge, bad
When you get on the other side of your warranty, let me know if something goes 'bump.'

GOOD LUCK!
Bob Wilson

Old 07-30-2008, 10:16 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks for the feedback, Bob. That was better than I expected. I assume that my 2006 Prius has the NHW 20 module?

What does it cost to replace the battery?

Again, many thanks.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:53 AM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by diver110
Thanks for the feedback, Bob. That was better than I expected. I assume that my 2006 Prius has the NHW 20 module?

What does it cost to replace the battery?
Yes, your 2006 is an NHW20, 2004-current.

I have yet to hear of an NHW20 battery replacement and the cost. The lowest price I've heard for an NHW11 battery, 38 modules, is $2,100 plus labor. However, I've been working on an NHW11 battery refurbishment process and it looks to be about $400 including the tools and about three weeks. It is a work in progress so it is too early to know if it will survive freezing temperatures and desert heat. That testing is planned.

Bob Wilson

Old 07-30-2008, 01:18 PM
Active Enthusiast

In an interview a Toyota exec. said that up to last year Toyota USA had replaced 7 faulty batteries in current (2004-2008) models. Last battery costs I heard were:
Dealer cost:- $1500
Parts list cost:- $4000 (I also heard a few quotes at $3000, it may be the $4000 quote is installed)
Used battery cost:- $500ish

There is a 2004 Prius Taxi in Vancouver BC with over 250,000 mi. on it, with no hybrid related failures.

Last edited by David Beale; 07-30-2008 at 01:25 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:02 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

One excuse I've heard for not buying the Prius was the cost of replacing the battery pack. 4,000 bucks doesn't sound too bad. Can you buy a half way decent used car for 4 G's?

Old 09-28-2008, 10:52 PM
Enthusiast

Just turned 180K miles tonite on my 2004 Prius. Have had to replace the water pump that cools the battery and the A/C motor, which runs all the time because of my perishable cargo (needs to stay at 67 degrees F.) Replaced the crap factory tires with 90K mile Michelins which now have 97K on them and are starting to wear. Get 51 mpg in summer and 59 in winter (which only lasts for a few weeks in Texas).

Old 09-29-2008, 12:22 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I think the recent info from Toyota (in the media section) says the 2004+ Prius battery would replace for about $2300?

Diver110's other initial question was about the gasoline engine. Indeed in Prius it is protected from large transients in power demand, and this might be helpful to longevity. About 50 used engine oil analyses have been posted on the internet, and they all suggest very low rates of metal wear. So if Prius engines at some point begin to fail (they haven't yet), I'd guess that it will be caused by peripheral systems. Thinking about the water pump, oil pump, intake valve 'rotator', fuel injectors, throttle plate motor, stuff like that.

Prius has been something of a disaster for the vehicle maintenance industry, because its needs are relatively few and rare. This has been commented upon elsewhere.

DAS

Old 10-02-2008, 12:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

Toyota just announced a price drop on the NHW20 batteries. It's now down to $2000 for a new one. Don't know what the dealer cost dropped to.

So there goes the nonsense posters "your battery will cost more than the car is worth to replace" ammunition. Well used Prius are going for at least 50% of new cost, usually in the range of 70%, depending on who you are buying from. So that's at least $15,000.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:51 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by David Beale
Toyota just announced a price drop on the NHW20 batteries. It's now down to $2000 for a new one. Don't know what the dealer cost dropped to.

So there goes the nonsense posters "your battery will cost more than the car is worth to replace" ammunition. Well used Prius are going for at least 50% of new cost, usually in the range of 70%, depending on who you are buying from. So that's at least $15,000.
My '06 has near 50 K. I anticipated buying a replacement battery pack. At that, it would be cheapest used car I could buy. With a Toyota engine, the Prius will out live me.

Quick Reply: Miles from engine and battery

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands