My Prius Timing Chain Replacement Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 08:37 AM
Enthusiast
Default My Prius Timing Chain Replacement Thread

Hello all,

My '07 Prius has logged 90,000 miles already so I thought that it may be time to replace the timing chain. Indeed this may be a bit proactive on my part but I'm a firm proponent of diligent maintenance on my baby

Anywhoo, here's a concise write-up on the procedure for replacing the timing chain on a gen II Prius. Hopefully, all of the DIYers on this board will find it useful!

1) Properly relieve the fuel system pressure.

2) Disconnect the negative battery cable. Be sure to wait at least 90 seconds after disconnecting the cable from the negative (-) battery terminal to prevent airbag and seat belt pretensioner activation.

3) While wearing insulating gloves, slide up the lever of the service plug grip and remove while turning the lever to the left. Be sure to insulate the service plug with insulating tape. CAUTION: Do not touch the high voltage connectors and terminals for 5 minutes after removing the service plug grip.

4) Remove the timing chain cover.

5) Remove the chain tensioner:
Lift up the stopper plate, then unlock the plunger.

Push in the plunger to the end with the plunger unlocked.
Lower the stopper plate with the plunger pushed to the end, then lock the plunger.
Insert a 3.0 mm (0.118 in.) diameter bar into the hole of the stopper plate with the plunger locked.

Note: If the stopper plate is not completely lowered and a 0.118 in. (3.0 mm) diameter bar cannot be inserted, unlock and pull out the plunger slightly. Then the stopper plate will be completely lowered and a 0.118 in. (3.0 mm) diameter bar can be inserted easily.

Remove the 2 bolts and chain tensioner.

6) Remove the chain tensioner slipper.

7) Remove the chain vibration damper.

8) Remove the timing chain.

--Installing the new Timing Chain--

1) Install the timing chain.

2) After setting the crankshaft at ATDC 40–140 degrees, set cams of intake and exhaust timing sprockets at ATDC 20 degrees and then the reset the crankshaft at ATDC 20 degrees.

3) Install the chain vibration damper with the 2 bolts and tighten to 80 inch lbs. (9 Nm).

4) Align the match marks of timing chain mark plate (Yellow), camshaft timing sprocket, camshaft timing gear and crankshaft timing sprocket to install the timing chain. To prevent the exhaust camshaft from spring back, turn it using a wrench and set it at the mark on a chain.

5) Install the chain tensioner slipper.

6) While rotating the lock plate of the tensioner up-ward, push in the plunger of the tensioner.

7) While rotating the lock plate of the tensioner down-ward, insert a bar of 0.098 inch (2.5mm) into the holes in the lock plate.

8) Install the chain tensioner with the 2 bolts and tighten to 80 inch lbs. (9 Nm).

9) Remove the bar from the chain tensioner.

10) Check the tension between the intake and exhaust camshaft timing sprocket.

11) Install the timing chain cover.

12) While wearing insulating gloves, install the service plug grip.

13) Connect the negative battery cable.

14) Perform the power window initialization procedure

**Additional Reference Material**
2007 Prius timing chain diagram <--Click the 'Get Info' button listed under the Parts Listing Tab, then click the 'Go' button inside the window that pops up and the diagram will be displayed.

That's essentially the entire procedure. Hope this helps!