Negative press on the Prius

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 05:47 AM
Owner of '06 HCH #7264
Thumbs down Negative press on the Prius

The article linked below entitled "Prius Release Me: Our long-term Toyota lets us go- and lets us down" was published on Autoweeks site on 11/7 and is the 4th of 4 quarterly summeries of the Prius by the editors.

http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=103484

Comments like
...Now 41 mpg may sound like a nice, fat figure, but considering the premium one pays for all that fancy fuel-saving technology, it would take years to recoup the difference over a standard small car of “normal” fuel efficiency.
again show the focus is on little more then the economic justification.

Comments such as
..Blame can fall in part to the addition near the end of the Prius’ stay of more practical and desirable—if less environmentally conscious—long-term cars such as the Volkswagen Phaeton and Dodge Magnum R/T. But in reality, most of us simply tired of the Toyota.
sadly show Americans in general are not willing to get out of their "comfort zone".

Old 11-07-2005, 06:06 AM
Banned
Default Re: Negative press on the Prius

This is coming from a Honda guy, but doesn't 41mpg sound low for a Prius II?

*Lead Foot Alarm*

Old 11-07-2005, 08:13 AM

Look what they got bored with and what they started drving.

Old 11-07-2005, 12:00 PM
Automania Enthusiast

I was in Phoenix last week and one station did a segment on Hybrids and mileage, but used an older Prius and in their loop showed it only got 35.4 MPG and I believe a Matrix and the Matrix was within 1 MPG on their test loop. Again they showed the sticker of 53MPG and their 'real world' 35 MPG and said it wasn't worth the price difference. Also talked about some other cars that got better MPG. My wife drives hard and I don't believe has gotten less they 42 on her 05 Prius.

Old 11-08-2005, 06:56 AM
Prius geek

Check the wait lists. The media can do all the negative 'reporting' they want. The truth is...the Prius is a great car and real people know it.

Old 11-09-2005, 10:06 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

How can you compare a Prius to a Phaeton? A Phaeton is a $67K, 355HP, V8, top-tier luxury car. May as well compare it to an F1 car or a space ship.

Old 11-09-2005, 06:00 PM
Enthusiast

How can you compare a Prius to a Phaeton? A Phaeton is a $67K, 355HP, V8, top-tier luxury car. May as well compare it to an F1 car or a space ship.
But a Prius II does look a bit like a space ship.
and it can glide along silently like one too.

Old 11-09-2005, 06:07 PM
Engineering first

Oh poor baby!

Did that bad old Prius misbehave for you? Well tell you what I'll do: Tell me how much you'll cut off of the Blue Book value and Bobby "The Ebayer" will take that horrible, nasty Prius off your hands. YES, I would not want you to be unhappy. Let me know how much you paid and we'll check out the Blue Book value and if you take off enough, we'll both be happy.

Bob Wilson

Old 11-09-2005, 09:17 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AndyTiedye
But a Prius II does look a bit like a space ship.
and it can glide along silently like one too.
There's nothing silent about a space ship, when it's burning thousands of pounds of fuel, to go 20 miles, to reach orbit.

Not disagreeing with you. I'm just amazed at the stupidity of the author. Comparing a Prius and a Phaeton on equal terms is just dumb.

Old 11-09-2005, 11:39 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi All:

___What do you mean a space ship is silent in the vacuum of space where sound cannot exist? Everybody knows the Star Trek Enterprise made a swhoosh sound when it flew by the camera in the opening of each and every show

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Quick Reply: Negative press on the Prius

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands