New Energy Saver tire from michelin

Old 09-04-2009, 06:43 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default New Energy Saver tire from michelin

I just bought one of the early sets of the new Energy Saver tires from tire rack. I own a '07 Camry and got 59.5 mpg (mfd reading) on my last tank using the oem Energy S8 tires. I sold those and installed these new higher gas mileage tires. The Michelin ads in the car magazines claim 8% better gas mileage.

I was planning on a update after I completed this present tank using these new tires. I'm already seeing a improvement even though I have used only a 1/4 tank of Texaco/Chevron gas. Phillips 66 and Shell are my other two favorites. I use 0w-20 mobil one for my oil.

These Saver tires seem to coast farther and takeoffs are easier. Each tire is about 3 pounds lighter than the Energy S8 tires I took off. That's 12 pounds rolling weight lighter to help with the acceleration.

Tire pressure - I decided on running 37.5 psi cold. I only have 228 miles on them so at about 500 miles they should be broke in. I hope to see a couple more miles per gallon. This new tire has a different radial design to help the LRR and to increase the gas mileage. This is also done by using a new rubber compound called, silica. Michelin says they will use the silica (green-X) in many of their tire designs.

I thought it best to drive like I did on my last 59.5 mpg (record) tank. Otherwise I would not know the real improvement in these new tires.

The 82 mpg on the daily scan gauge reading was due to a big jump in the EV mode (6 miles) when driving the 8 miles home. When leaving, I also drove from home to the highway, 1.6 miles, all on battery. That's the first time ever the car would do that. This is on a old paved country road. I usual drain the battery down to 40% when we come home at night. This time the battery was up enough to get me to the highway.

note: I do add 4 ounces of Lucas fuel injector cleaner each time I fill my tank. I don't remember seeing any real mpg difference, but will continue using it to make sure the injectors and valves stay clean.

I did read that using fuel injector cleaners can possible damage the oxygen sensor. Lucas says their products will not cause any damage even on new cars. I have used Lucas products for years in the recent past on two new cars and never had any problems.

My name is Jimmy and I own a 2007 Camry Hybrid. I drive slow at 40 using the cruise. I live 8 miles from Alamogordo which is near White Sands. Alamogordo is 85 miles north of El Paso, Texas. The highways are 4-lane and are very flat which gives me an advantage. The desert floor here is 4100 feet. Not that much traffic as we go to town to eat and shop when the humidity is low, then come home at about 9 pm. I have found I get my very best mpg when the humidity is in the 20% range. I'm slow on takeoffs and coast in drive a lot. The car coast so much farther with these new tires, almost like i'm in neutral.

So far these tires seem to ride really smooth and are quiet. I had the oem Energy S8 tires for 22,000 miles. They also road rather smooth and were quiet.

Just thought you might be interested. I like the idea of 8% better gas mileage.

here is some details about these new tires:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....gy+Saver+A%2FS

my latest mfd picture at 3/4 full tank below. Now if I can get this tank to look that good at empty.

click thumbnail for large view

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
mpg 09-02-09.jpg (74.5 KB, 344 views)

Last edited by rburt07; 09-04-2009 at 07:04 AM.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:18 PM
Default Re: New Energy Saver tire from michelin

Originally Posted by rburt07
<snip>Just thought you might be interested. I like the idea of 8% better gas mileage.
<snip>
Me too. Would I be right in assuming you're only quoting Michelin's claim, so far, ie: you haven't gone through enough gas to calculate your actual percent change, down or up?

Anyway, please do post impressions and mileage as you go. These look promising. The only concern I have is their rain and light snow performance, I don't think they are rated all-season. I'm not sure on this, maybe you or someone can clarify. I have read that they have very good stopping distance. I do have separate snows, but all-seasons still are worthwhile in in-between seasons.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:32 PM

Tanks for the tip. My Insight only has 15K so far (only, at less than 5 months old) but when I replace the tires next year I will definitely check these out.

I like their looks.

Keep us posted on your mileage, wear and ride. Also let us know how they handle wet roads.

mi_energysaver_as_ci1_l.jpg
mi_energysaver_as_ci2_l.jpg

Old 09-04-2009, 02:39 PM

Mendel Leisk you are exactly right. Here I am relying on the 228 miles and almost 4 gallons of gas used. My Camry seems consistent in it's gas mileage. Over the last two years I have learned better ways to get higher gas mileage.

Usually I will start out at 99.99 mpg on a tank due to staying in the ev mode in town. By the time we get home 8 miles from town it usually drops to the mid 50's. It's up to me to try to keep it in the mid 50's and lately during the hot summer I can reach the low 60's. No AC to save on the battery. Temps here are from the mid 80's to the low 90's. With the low humidity, it's not so bad when we drive from 6 to 10 pm. That's when we go eat in town and go to walmart for groceries and shopping.

I will try to post this tanks results and hope I can continue at this higher mpg with these new tires.

Yes, these are the Michelin Energy Saver Tires A/S. The A/S designation means they are all season.

Note: These may be related to the oem Energy S8 tires. The Tire Rack survey did not give the S8 tire a very good review. Mainly due to wet traction and poor snow and ice traction.

Last edited by rburt07; 09-04-2009 at 02:49 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:20 PM

<snip>Yes, these are the Michelin Energy Saver Tires A/S. The A/S designation means they are all season.<snip>
Ok, good to hear. I wasn't to clear on that. So your seat-of-pants hunch is LRR, will likely bear out in better numbers. Keep in mind they're brand new, that tends to be the worst time for mileage: no where to go but up

Old 09-04-2009, 08:43 PM

Sorry I left off the A/S designation. I have always got lower mpg when the tires are new. I usualy air them up to 38 to 40 psi cold for about 300 miles. I then let then down to 35 from then on.

Not so with the Michelin Energy S8 tire. I saw where some of the guys ran 40 psi cold in them. I gave it a try, my mpg went up some and they also rode smooth. Those I had were over a year old and the center at 8/32 and 9/32 on the sides. I'm hoping at 37.5 psi on the tires they will wear evenly.

Strange as it seems these new Energy Saver tires start at 9/32 tread depth. Still the ad says hey will last 25% longer. Than what? I don't think it says. I have had great results from their tires and will see how it goes.

Not sure if I mentioned it earlier, but these tires come with no tread warranty. Michelin tires seem to hold up really well. I will take that gamble on the increase in gas mileage.

Last edited by rburt07; 09-04-2009 at 08:46 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:48 PM

One thing, they're pricey. Bit of a tug-of-war: save on gas, but spend more to do it. Typical hybrid dilemma, I guess...

Old 09-04-2009, 10:53 PM

Pricey, I don't think so. I used tirerack to compare tires that will fit my car. Tire size, 215/60 16. Here are approx prices per tire from a list of 54 tires. Yes they had some $85 and $90 tires that were not very popular in the tire rack survey and some that may not wear very long.

Sumitomo at $85 was the low priced tire. Near the price range of this Energy Saver tire for my Camry @ $137 each. Others in that same size were a Bridgestone $136, Yokohama at $157, Michelin Primacy or Pilot, both listed as $129 and a Pirelli at $123. So I don't see I paid any more for these ES tires, than these other brands.

Last edited by rburt07; 09-04-2009 at 11:04 PM.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:15 AM
Active Enthusiast

Changing Tires at 22,000? I might be interested in your "used" S8's if you want to send me a private message. Have a place near your home.

Do let us know how your tire test goes. Sounds like you already get really good mileage so we might be able to attribute any improvement to the tires. But there is always a nature inclination for anyone to try harder after spending money for what they hope will be an improvement. Sort of self fulfilling.

Can't say for sure but I would bet that the claimed 8% improvement isn't over the S8. But we'll hope so.

Thanks for testing

Old 09-05-2009, 10:06 AM

Pricey, I don't think so.<snip>
I guess it's a case of "one man's ceiling..."

Comparing somewhat comprable tires in my '06 Honda Civic Hybrid's 195/65R15
size, again on tire rack:

Bridgestone Ecopia EP100: $86

Michelin Energy Saver A/S: $112

FWIW, the Bridgestones have 5 year, 50,000 mile warranty. OTOH, I don't believe they are all-season (the source of my earlier confusion, I was thinking of the Bridgestones).

Anyway, in my experience the Michelins always seem to command a premium.

Our stock tires (still on) are Bridgestone Insignia SE200-02. They were likely chosen by Honda for LRR. But they seem to difficult to find, for replacement. Typical offering is the SE200 (without the -02), and this tire is similar, but a little heavier, and apparently not as LRR, from what I've read.

We have used Michelin quite a few times over the years, both OEM and replacement. This was before I'd heard of LRR. The Michelins were always very smooth running, sure-footed, tracked good, in short: confidence inspiring. We purchased 2 sets of Michelin Harmony for one particular car. The second set we got deeply discounted, because the first set got down to the wear bars way ahead of the treadlife warranty, something like 60,000km vs 120,000km, fwiw.

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 09-05-2009 at 10:16 AM.