New Member....question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 07:21 AM
Enthusiast
Default New Member....question.

We just picked up our Barcelona red/grey package 7 Monday. Love it! I have been driving BMW's for years and am really enjoying this car more than I thought I would. We own a retail business here in Silicon Valley and many of our customers drive Priuses. (Is that the Plural?) I would continually ask how they like it and the answer was always the same....Love it! I am enjoying trying to max the mileage. My brother in law was in the car last night and I had the comsumption screen up and he thought it was like playing a video game. He suggested we be able to put names up with the top mileage score.

My question is: I sold a wagon to get this car and in my wagon I had a cargo tray that fit the entire cargo area behind the rear seats. It had a 2 inch lip all the way around that would keep dirt or spills contained. My wife likes to haul plants around so I am looking for something to put in the Prius to make it nice to do some dirty work with. I would pull the liner/ tray out and dump the dirt out or vacume it and the carpeting stayed clean. Will also be looking for some rubber mats for the rainy season. Any web sites or other possibilities that offer some nice accesories for this car is appreciated.

In the first 4 days of driving, city only, we are averaging 49+ Mpg. Sweet!

Thanks!

Old 08-20-2006, 07:59 AM
Engineering first
Default Re: New Member....question.

Originally Posted by Jackster
We just picked up our Barcelona red/grey package 7 Monday. Love it! . . .
You are in for a treat. No doubt, you've noticed is a quiet ride too!

My question is: I sold a wagon to get this car and in my wagon I had a cargo tray that fit the entire cargo area behind the rear seats. It had a 2 inch lip all the way around that would keep dirt or spills contained. My wife likes to haul plants around so I am looking for something to put in the Prius to make it nice to do some dirty work with. I would pull the liner/ tray out and dump the dirt out or vacume it and the carpeting stayed clean. Will also be looking for some rubber mats for the rainy season. Any web sites or other possibilities that offer some nice accesories for this car is appreciated.
My car is the earlier, NHW11 and my experiments wouldn't be much help:

http://hiwaay.net/~bzwilson/prius/pri_RevC.html

If you don't have much luck, there is a foam-and-fiberglass process that could be used to make a nice liner. Get some foam blocks from Lowels or Home Depot and cut and epoxie them into the exact bed shape you want. Glue some slats on the top to hold the foam blocks together in the car.

Take the foam block out and finish shaping the bottom. Radius corners and a flat bottom are recommended. Also shape some 'hand holds' in the foam. Then using fiberglass and epoxie, make a multi-layer liner using the foam as the mold. Just 3-4 layers will make a strong, light-weight liner that would exactly fit. Be sure to use gloves in a well ventilated place in case you are sensitive to the epoxie. If you substitute carbon fiber for fiberglass, you will get a very strong part that weights less. When the epoxie cures, 24 hours later, scrape out the foam and voila.

The fiberglass and epoxie can be bought at some boating supply stores or ordered from homebuild aviation suppliers.

GOOD LUCK!

Bob Wilson

Old 08-20-2006, 09:21 AM
Enthusiast

The WeatherTech Cargo liner is just what you are looking for. See the link for pictures. I purchased one time from autoanything a had good service.

http://www.autoanything.com/cargo-li...A1476A0A0.aspx

Old 08-20-2006, 11:14 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the responses. I went to the cargo liner website. Unfortunately they only offer the tan color at this time. I have the grey interior. I would get black also but tan seems to be the only option.

I will keep looking.

Thanks!

Old 08-21-2006, 02:08 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Sigma Auto offers All-Weather Cargo Tray in black.
http://www.sigmaauto.com/jdm/prius/prius0405.php

Ken@Japan

Old 08-22-2006, 10:39 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks for the responses. I went to the cargo liner website. Unfortunately they only offer the tan color at this time. I have the grey interior. I would get black also but tan seems to be the only option.
I just looked and they have it in tan, grey or black. $10 extra if you don't want basic black.

Old 08-22-2006, 10:27 PM
Enthusiast

They show the three colors but when you actually go to chose the color it only allows tan as the choice. I guess I could ring them and see if the other choices are available.

Old 08-30-2006, 12:34 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Just go to http://www.weathertech.com/ They have all the colors available. I have the floor mats and the gray is quite close to the gray that Toyota installs in the vehicle. I highly recommend their products.