New Owner, Just bought a 2007

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 06:20 AM
Enthusiast
Default New Owner, Just bought a 2007

Going to pick up by new silver Prius today, its an 07 w 20k miles or so, got a good deal at Carmax

So what are good shocks, wheels

and whats the best aftermarket Nav system

Old 01-16-2009, 05:49 PM
Engineering first
Default Re: New Owner, Just bought a 2007

Welcome to the CLUB!
Originally Posted by WARHORSE
Going to pick up by new silver Prius today, its an 07 w 20k miles or so, got a good deal at Carmax

So what are good shocks, wheels

and whats the best aftermarket Nav system
I can't help you on the Nav system. But as for wheels, do you mean tires or are you planning to swap out the alloy wheels with something else?

If you want tires, I'd recommend following the Consumer Reports recommendations since they do rolling resistance testing.

Bob Wilson

Old 01-16-2009, 09:54 PM
Enthusiast

Me too. Pkg 2. Rebuilt title, low price. Mr Bob, are these wheel trim rings replaceable? Some 'curb rash' on 2 or 3 of mine. Local dealer says rebuilt='voided warranty' A shame, as my car is under 21kmi, with an inservice date of 2/25/07. My back-up camera just displays blurry color, & I thought it would be nice to get that fixed via warranty... 'Jet

Old 01-17-2009, 12:31 AM
Engineering first

Welcome to the CLUB!
Originally Posted by JRSYJET
Me too. Pkg 2. Rebuilt title, low price. Mr Bob, are these wheel trim rings replaceable? Some 'curb rash' on 2 or 3 of mine. Local dealer says rebuilt='voided warranty' A shame, as my car is under 21kmi, with an inservice date of 2/25/07. My back-up camera just displays blurry color, & I thought it would be nice to get that fixed via warranty... 'Jet
I know they can be gotten but others have taken them off. My older, NHW11 never had them.

A salvage is good news, bad news. The price is excellent but you always wonder about what might need yet to be fixed. All I can do is wish you GOOD LUCK!

Are you mechanically inclined? You might consider getting the maintenance manuals, the Toyota ones, that come up on Ebay from time to time. Having them makes it easier to deal with problems as these are the road map to the vehicle and systems.

When I bought my used, 2003 Prius, I had already ordered the Toyota manuals and the arrived shortly after I got home with my Prius.

Bob Wilson

Old 01-17-2009, 09:08 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
But as for wheels, do you mean tires or are you planning to swap out the alloy wheels with something else?
I want to get new alloy wheels to reduce the unsprung weight which will create better mpg and better handling

Old 01-17-2009, 03:40 PM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by WARHORSE
I want to get new alloy wheels to reduce the unsprung weight which will create better mpg and better handling
Good enough. Some of the Japanese high mileage folks use a block heater year round. Also, you might also keep one of the original wheels for a full-size spare.

When you get a chance, see if you can get an alignment printout. I've had a lot of luck using the "EZ-shim" system to improve wheel alignment of the rear wheels and using caster adjustment bolts to improve the front wheels. This can improve handling as well as reduce tire wear. One trick is to measure the tread depth of each of the old tires to get a better idea of the wear pattern.

GOOD LUCK!
Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 01-17-2009 at 03:50 PM.