New Owner with Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 03:16 PM
Enthusiast
Cool New Owner with Question

Saturday afternoon picked up a spotless, 05 with a lot of extras, and maintenance documentation from day one.

MPG have been poor, but the temps have been way down, the trips short, just learning about the importance of warming it up for better MPG. Also know that I am going to have to learn a new way of driving if I want he the 50 MPG.

My question is, has anyone experienced how the car handles on ice. In North Dakota we have been known to have a bad day once in a while.

Thanks

Old 01-28-2008, 06:00 PM
Engineering first
Default Re: New Owner with Question

Welcome to the club!

Originally Posted by bnyhlen
Saturday afternoon picked up a spotless, 05 with a lot of extras, and maintenance documentation from day one.

MPG have been poor, but the temps have been way down, the trips short, just learning about the importance of warming it up for better MPG. Also know that I am going to have to learn a new way of driving if I want he the 50 MPG.

My question is, has anyone experienced how the car handles on ice. In North Dakota we have been known to have a bad day once in a while.
North Alabama doesn't get much ice but one patch turning at a stop sign was handled quite well last year.

GOOD LUCK!
Bob Wilson

Old 01-29-2008, 10:13 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: New Owner with Question

Hi,

Congrats on your new Prius, hope you enjoy it. I love mine!

I am from Michigan and have driven on a little ice and snow lately!

Basically, you want to use your good fuel economy habits, but even more so.

Controlled, deliberate actions will keep you out of the ditch and are good for your fuel economy. Try to keep yourself in EV (electric vehicle) mode for as long as possible when accelerating--that will be good for fuel economy and will keep the front wheels from slipping--if they slip, then you are accelerating too hard!
I have all the stability controls and my first time on snow, found out that they work. If you get into a slide, just kind of ease off the gas and it works!
Try to avoid hard braking--use the regen brakes and not the friction brakes--but if you have to use the friction brakes, the anti lock brakes do take effect--had to use them once on my first time on snow and had to stop at a red light--was really going too fast for road conditions--forgot that the intersections were really icy from stopped cars melting the snow and then it re-freezes.

Basically, use good efficent driving and it's good for the bad weather.

Have you read the Prius FAQ? I find that reading it, then driving your Prius for a few weeks and then reading it again--it makes more sense and you pick up new stuff.

Enjoy your Prius and have fun.

Donna
Prius Prime