New Owner Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 05:04 PM
Enthusiast
Question New Owner Questions

I have had my 2008 Prius for one week now and I have a couple of questions on operation.

1. The first time I push and release the start button, the "brake" indicator is on and it won't allow me to go into Reverse or Drive. I have tried with and without my foot on the brake and I Have verified that the emergency brake is not set. I have had to turn the car off and back on again in order to be ready to drive, i.e. it allows me to go into Reverse or Drive.

2. Sometimes when I push and release the Start Button, the car only goes into the accessory mode and turns on the radio. If I press and release again, the instrument panel lights up and I have the situation described in step 1. above.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Old 05-31-2008, 03:33 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New Owner Questions

You may not be fully depressing the brake pedal before you press the "start" button. Fully depress it and hold while pressing the "start" button. Also, a very quick press and release of the start button may partially confuse the car. I press it for about a second. You can not shift into "D" or "R" (or "B") unless you also have the brake pedal fully depressed. The parking brake has no effect on any of this.

If this doesn't help, your brake switch may be maladjusted. See your dealer.