New Prius 06 - What should my tire pressures be at?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 08:49 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default New Prius 06 - What should my tire pressures be at?

Just recieved mine on the 7th of march. i put 400km in the first 2 days, this thing was designed to be driven and eats up the mileage quickly
But i'm happy to say it's a low maintenance car compared to my BMW, so i'm more than willing to drive it some more.

i drive 90% city and about 10% highway
city mileage 4.7L/100km (50MPG) and highway up to 5.0L/100Km(47MPG).

I'm thinking of increasing my tire preasures, right now i'm at the factory standards, can anyone give me advice as to what pressures I should be at to maximize my mileage?

thank you very much,
regards,
gj

Old 03-09-2006, 10:08 AM
Engineering first
Talking Re: New Prius 06 - What should my tire pressures be at?

Originally Posted by CamelFilters
. . .I'm thinking of increasing my tire preasures, right now i'm at the factory standards, can anyone give me advice as to what pressures I should be at to maximize my mileagej
Check the other 06 Prius thread. We've pretty well covered all of the recomendations.

BTW, welcome to the 'smug club.' <GRINS>

Bob Wilson

Old 03-09-2006, 12:59 PM
Active Enthusiast
Talking Re: New Prius 06 - What should my tire pressures be at?

Thanks!

This is the greatest car i've ever owned; i'm so glad i went for this and not the HCH 06. I do mostly city and i find myself most of the time running on Electric Mode only; I only use the ICE to accelerate up to speed and then cruise all the way to the end of the block on just battery or if the light stays green at the next intersection then better it is for me

i've been experimenting with different pressures this morning, i think i'm comfortable with 37 front and 36 rears; I just spent an hour outside and just got back from driving 74km and the center console says avg 4.3L/100km (54.7MPG) all city here in downtown toronto,ON

Old 03-09-2006, 01:19 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New Prius 06 - What should my tire pressures be at?

Welcome CamelFilters. One thing to bear in mind is the 2 PSI differential between the front and rear, whatever pressures you choose. The front should ALWAYS be 2 PSI higher than the rear to maintain proper/safe handling characteristics.

Old 03-09-2006, 06:25 PM
Enthusiast

42psi front; 40psi rear

Old 03-09-2006, 07:46 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks everyone for the support,

i'll keep in mind the 2 psi difference for front and rear.
i'll try 42psi Front and 40psi rear.

Best regards to all,
gj

Finally filled up tonight on first tank since i bought the car (recieved 10km on the ODO)
now at 773KM filled up 37.33 Litres.
that's 20.7KM / Litre or 48.9MPG

Old 03-10-2006, 01:06 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CamelFilters
Thanks everyone for the support,

i'll keep in mind the 2 psi difference for front and rear.
i'll try 42psi Front and 40psi rear.
You might find that to be a little firm and rough depending on local road conditions.

I alternate between 38/36 and 40/38. I tried 42/40 once and found it quite harsh, more harsh than I like it and started going down from there. However, I didn't notice a significant drop off in FE as I dropped my tire pressure. I figure that I will settle at 38/36, especially now that the car is broken in and FE seems to have stabilized. I've been watching my tires now for 15 months since I purchased the car, so I have a little bit of perspective about all of this.

Old 03-10-2006, 02:47 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JeromeP
You might find that to be a little firm and rough depending on local road conditions.

I alternate between 38/36 and 40/38. I tried 42/40 once and found it quite harsh, more harsh than I like it and started going down from there. However, I didn't notice a significant drop off in FE as I dropped my tire pressure. I figure that I will settle at 38/36, especially now that the car is broken in and FE seems to have stabilized. I've been watching my tires now for 15 months since I purchased the car, so I have a little bit of perspective about all of this.
Thanks for the post,
ive been experimenting with 42/40 and 38/36 today and i found 38/36 to be better for me. I do mostly city and the road conditions here are not the greatest. I too didnt notice any difference with my mileage.
I'm really enjoying this car, i'm trying to break it in; according to the manual it says there's no real break in procedure except just to take it easy for the first 1000km. I'm almost there, after that I can start using cruise control in the highway and going above 110km/h.

regards,
gj