New Prius owner seeks (hyper)mileage tips

Old 01-06-2006, 08:38 AM
Happy Hybrid Owner
Default New Prius owner seeks (hyper)mileage tips

Hi Prius folks! I'm about to join your ranks - my '06 is "on its way" from the Port of NY (or somewhere in that vicinity). It's red, with Package "C" (the "HI" package - VSC and a bunch of dumb stuff I don't need but had to take to get the VSC, which I though wise here in the snowbelt). I'm NOT a new hybrid owner, I've had an '05 FEH since April, and earned my hypermiling "star" for that one a few months ago (though I might lose it in a couple of tanks due to NASTY cold temps lately), after a difficult climb back from the first few dismal tanks.

Anyway, I would REALLY like to hypermile this one "right out of the box", despite the temps around here, which often go below 10 deg. F, and seem to be averaging about 28 for the times I mostly drive. I know it will be a challenge - any tips that are more specific to the Prius? I will try to "pulse and glide" - I haven't been able to do that too much in the FEH because I don't have the energy display screen - when I can, but a big part of my commute is a long uphill, followed by a long downhill (which, of course, is the same when reversing in the evening). I really haven't been able to figure out the best way to handle that terrain, what I usually do is get up it without any pushing the RPMs over 3K, trying to stay at about 40-45 mph, and then coast down using as little braking as possible (there's always enough to fully charge the batteries, no matter what I do coming down).

Please don't waste board space telling me to keep my speed down, avoid jackrabbit starts, pump up my tires, etc. - I'm looking for that last 10% I might be able to eke out with extraordinary (if not plain wacked-out crazy) measures.

Old 01-06-2006, 08:54 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New Prius owner seeks (hyper)mileage tips

move to Arizona. lol

Old 01-06-2006, 09:29 AM
Active Enthusiast

My guess is that you will see the Prius affected by cold weather more than the FEH. Don't let yourself get frustrated this winter, things will get dramatically better in the summer.

I also have a commute that has a long downhill and then uphill. The key to maximizing FE is on the downhill side. Keep your speed at 39 or below. If your ICE is warm enough, it will shut off completely when you glide. At speeds 41+, your ICE will have to idle.

If your downhill route is on the highway and you can't go that slow, then consider looking for another route. I switched from the interstate to a road that runs along side the interstate. The trip distance is the same but FE went from 67 to 75 in the summer. In the winter it went from 57 to 60. The cold air makes the ICE run more often in the winter so the FE difference between summer and winter is pretty dramatic.

Good luck.

Dan

Old 01-06-2006, 09:43 AM
Happy Hybrid Owner
Question Re: New Prius owner seeks (hyper)mileage tips

Originally Posted by Clubford00
move to Arizona. lol
Now that's a "plain wacked-out crazy" idea that I could REALLY get behind, especially at this time of year! Though I'd be inclined to go all the way to Hawai'i if I were going. Unfortunately, I'd have to (1) convince hubby (probably not too difficult), and (2) either take another bar exam, or find a new career (MUCH more difficult!).

When you're going downhill in the Prius, below 40 mph (at, say, 38), and braking to maintain that low speed, does the ICE ever "come on" to absorb extra energy created by braking when the batteries are full? This happens in the FEH, though I'm told the ICE isn't actually using any fuel when it occurs - but it does make it more difficult to know what's going on, i.e., to tell whether the engine's just "spinning" or has actually come on for some other reason, like to warm things up.

Old 01-06-2006, 10:28 AM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by sweetbeet
Hi Prius folks!
. . .
Anyway, I would REALLY like to hypermile this one "right out of the box", despite the temps around here, which often go below 10 deg. F, and seem to be averaging about 28 for the times I mostly drive.
. . .
I'd recommend joininig the Yahoogroup:

Prius Technical Stuff

Search through the archived messages and if any of it raises questions that are not answered, then post your question to the group. The "Hi, I just bought and want ..." is not the best way to introduce yourself.

Good things to search on:
- cold weather
- engine block heater
- scanbus or OBC
- EV and PEV mode

I'm an 03 Prius owner operator but this group is very savy on 04-06.

Bob Wilson

Old 01-06-2006, 04:14 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

--

Last edited by xcel; 12-02-2007 at 06:59 PM.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:19 PM
Happy Hybrid Owner

Thanks for the oil reminder. How bad are the original tires?

I have essentially two possible routes to/from work, and (fortunately) neither has any true "highway" (limited access, 65 mph limit). Both have a mix of rural roads with limits between 40 and 55, and light to moderate traffic, and small city streets with lights and moderate traffic. In summer, one route tends to give better FE because it doesn't have the huge up/down, but more gentle, rolling hills, but I haven't been taking that route in winter because (1) I've been more pressed for time, forgetting to allow extra time for clearing snow from the car, and (2) I'm not sure how well it's plowed. I might try it on low-snow days with the Prius.

OK, I know DWL, what's "DWB"? All that comes to mind is "Driving with Booger" (that's my cat, and I don't think it would improve my FE!). And pardon my ignorance again, but "WAI"? (Neither of these are in the glossary, BTW.) (edit: Oh, is it "driving without brakes"?)

I already turn the engine off at long stop lights during warm up - it's almost second nature. Is that what you mean by FAS?

Oh, by the way, I got a good laugh the other day - I was reading a novel where the author is trying to impress us by mentioning one character's Prius repeatedly by name, but he totally screwed up - he wrote something about "turning the key in the ignition" to start it! Obviously has never driven one... heeheehee. Here it is: Michael Crichton, "State of Fear" (Avon Books paperback) p. 164: "Evans turned the ignition of his Prius and it hummed to life." (Could this have been true of a Prius I? Maybe that explains it.)

Last edited by sweetbeet; 01-06-2006 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Add book/page cite
Old 01-06-2006, 05:29 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

--

Last edited by xcel; 12-02-2007 at 06:58 PM.